December 12 2018 06:47:04
Navigation
· Home
· Articles
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Discussion Forum
· Web Links
· News Categories
· Contact Me
· Photo Gallery
· Search
· Gameservers
Languages
Users Online
· Guests Online: 2

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 1,057
· Newest Member: Hydrocious
Teamspeak 3
Last Seen Users
· Homi05:10:04
· sonic09:23:05
· Intruder10:27:47
· Confused Master10:31:22
· ceghe12:44:32
· Hoods14:54:15
· VCG john17:53:15
· dRgiGGLeZ 1 day
· luporandagio 1 day
· braddock 1 day
· Virus 1 day
· 420Ninjutsu 1 day
· martyr 1 day
· WEZ 3 days
· Nosek 4 days

View Thread: Studio Max, Photoshop and DDS/BES compatability
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Studio Max, Photoshop and DDS/BES compatability
martyr
Hi all Smile

I've been playing around some map editing with VC maps for the first time in over 10 years.
Sadly, I can't figure out how to do things with Studio max version 2016 and Photoshop CC 2015.

I have downloaded the DDS plugin for Photoshop which seems to work but... I replaced a DDS file in the tex folder for a BES object that works and the new texture does not work - even after Refresh and Rebuild TexDB.
Does anyone know if there are issues with newer versions of Photoshop and the DDS plugin?

Also, my version of Studio max doesn't seem to have the same folder structure that is described in the Max plugins readme files. I tried setting it up but didn't get the right info in my Max info panes (eg PteroMat material).
Anyone have experience of getting newer versions of Max to play nice with the plugins?

Many thanks,
M.
Edited by martyr on 14-10-2018 22:11
Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"
 
http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
Ho Chi Minh
i think, your version of max is much too new. if i remember correctly, the last working version is 3ds max 8.
 
http://tekmi.de
sonic
Not exact answer to your question... but why not try something completely free? Like GIMP and its DDS plugin...but I am not sure if Vietcong can handle DDS produced by GIMP. And if you are patient enough (year or two, maybe never), you can try BES plugin for Blender Cool.

As Ho Chi Minh said, the newest BES plugin for 3DS Max is for version 8.
SignatureIf they move, they are VC. If they stay, they are a well trained VC.
-Door Gunner´╗┐
 
https://github.com/sonicpp
martyr
Ho Chi Minh wrote:
i think, your version of max is much too new. if i remember correctly, the last working version is 3ds max 8.

Thanks Ho... I did some more searching here and found a previous topic that explains. I guess I will have to try and find a copy of 3DSmax v7 or v8.

sonic wrote:
Not exact answer to your question... but why not try something completely free? Like GIMP and its DDS plugin...but I am not sure if Vietcong can handle DDS produced by GIMP. And if you are patient enough (year or two, maybe never), you can try BES plugin for Blender Cool. . .

Thanks Sonic. That should have been my third question! I have used Blender but not GIMP. I will definitely try GIMP.
I can see from your linked topic that you are working on the Blender BES plugin. That is awesome. I will read through the topic properly and reply there. Thanks again.
Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"
 
http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
sonic
martyr wrote:
I can see from your linked topic that you are working on the Blender BES plugin. That is awesome. I will read through the topic properly and reply there. Thanks again.


Yeah, but the plugin is far from finished, exporting is not working at all yet, so it is useless for you I think at the moment
SignatureIf they move, they are VC. If they stay, they are a well trained VC.
-Door Gunner´╗┐
 
https://github.com/sonicpp
Intruder
martyr wrote:
...

I have downloaded the DDS plugin for Photoshop which seems to work but... I replaced a DDS file in the tex folder for a BES object that works and the new texture does not work - even after Refresh and Rebuild TexDB.
Does anyone know if there are issues with newer versions of Photoshop and the DDS plugin?

...

In my opinion, it shouldn't be a problem... And if some incompatibilities exist, then I guess it would be notified on the "their" sites (Photoshop and Nvidia) for each version of the program.
Also, be sure to use the right "DXT" when you save in Photoshop...


It's all what I'm thinking for the moment.


Good luck!



Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png
 
martyr
Intruder wrote:
...
Also, be sure to use the right "DXT" when you save in Photoshop...
...


Thanks for the reply dude.
I read somewhere that DXT1 or DXT5 will work for textures in the editor. I tried them both with a few options and none of them work.

I also tried with GIMP and again... there are some different options and I tried DXT1 and DXT5 but I haven't succeeded yet.
Do you (or anyone else) know of the exact settings that I should try?
Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"
 
http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
Intruder
There is something I'm still not sure to understand...

By reading your previous posts, you still haven't a working version of 3ds Max, right? If it's the case, I guess you still can't create a simple object (like a plane) to test your texture either? So, if I'am right, you're actually trying to replace an existing texture from an existing object...? If all my guesses are correct, your texture will not work "in game" because you have to apply that new texture on a NEW "object/plane" you will hide in your map (usually under it). By doing this, the game/map will load that new texture and will replace the one that the object is/was actually using.
So, to resume, without a working version of max, your new/edited texture will not work as long as you haven't applied it on a new "object/plane" in your map...

If it's still not your problem, I don't know; but maybe this will help others to understand "how it works" anyway... Wink



Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png
 
martyr
Perhaps you have my answer in your reply Intruder.
I have a version of 3D Studio max 2016 but Ptero plugin isn't working. However...

I was hoping that the original object (BES) file > linked to > original texture (DDS) file name.
So I thought I can use the original object (BES) file but make a new texture (DDS) file with the same file name and it would work?

In your last reply, are you saying that giving the DDS file the same file name as the original is not enough - the DDS must be applied to the BES object in 3D Studio Max?

That would explain why my new DDS texture does not work.
I was thinking that applying texture to an object in Max was just a way of adding a texture reference to an object.
Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"
 
http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
Intruder
Hi,

martyr wrote:
...
I was hoping that the original object (BES) file > linked to > original texture (DDS) file name.
So I thought I can use the original object (BES) file but make a new texture (DDS) file with the same file name and it would work?

No, it won't work...

In your last reply, are you saying that giving the DDS file the same file name as the original is not enough - the DDS must be applied to the BES object in 3D Studio Max?

Indeed, it's not enough... and yes, the new DDS texture must be applied to a new BES object in 3ds Max otherwise it won't work. A simple plane object is enough (1m x 1m, 2 faces only) and the new texture must be applied on it. Then, place the BES file in your objects folder and the DDS file in your TEX folder > Tools > Rebuild TexDB > place the new plane under the map and it should work!

That would explain why my new DDS texture does not work.
I was thinking that applying texture to an object in Max was just a way of adding a texture reference to an object.

I really believe it's the answer to your question! And I'm pretty sure your texture is working correctly with your DDS plugin from Photoshop... The only problem is your 3ds Max version which is too recent for the Ptero plugins... Wink


Hmmm, WAIT!!! By writing this text, an idea just come in my mind... Because in your case you want to replace a texture only, maybe the Ptero plugins are not needed! Use your actual version of 3ds Max and apply your texture to the plane, without collisions, and save it as a BES file. You will see what will happen anyway! Cool


Good luck!



Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png
 
martyr
Well I guess I am understanding the mechanics of textures on objects in VC now Smile
Thanks Intruder!

However, I will try your suggestion about applying a texture to a simple plane and exporting as BES. Good idea!
I can still only guess at the correct DDS settings (DXT1 or DXT5 etc.)

Wish me luck... cause I just had a different problem in my editor which I will have to create a new topic for lol
Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"
 
http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
martyr
Intruder wrote:
...
Because in your case you want to replace a texture only, maybe the Ptero plugins are not needed! Use your actual version of 3ds Max and apply your texture to the plane, without collisions, and save it as a BES file. You will see what will happen anyway! Cool...


Ok I used my academic version of 3DS Max 2016 (no Ptero plugins).
I have created a plane and applied a bmp texture to it.
I can see the texture rendering in the view port.
However, I cannot see a way to export/save selected as BES file format.
The export formats are as follows in the screenshot:
martyr attached the following image:

[131.31 kB]

Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"
 
http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
Intruder
Uh... I really thought that 3ds Max was able to export in .BES but apparently, the Ptero plugins are also used for "that"! Frown
I made a quick search and found very few informations about .BES files and 3ds Max 2016 in fact. I'm not even sure a BES plugin exists!

I'm afraid you will have to find an older version of 3ds Max, to be able to use the Ptero plugins and create contents for Vietcong then...

Sorry for the false hope!



Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png
 
martyr
Intruder wrote:
Uh... I really thought that 3ds Max was able to export in .BES but apparently, the Ptero plugins are also used for "that"! Frown
I made a quick search and found very few informations about .BES files and 3ds Max 2016 in fact. I'm not even sure a BES plugin exists!
I'm afraid you will have to find an older version of 3ds Max, to be able to use the Ptero plugins and create contents for Vietcong then...
Sorry for the false hope!
Intruder


No problem dude. Please don't apologise - you have been very helpful in many ways already!

I actually found a version of 3DS Max 7 that I had on an old drive but it will not install. I tried running the setup file in compatibility mode for XP sp3 but no luck - some kind of license error.

I also found a 3DS Max 8 trial version but that won't install either - [Error: 1603] Fatal error during installation.

Shame :S
Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"
 
http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
Jump to Forum:
Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
3d studio max 9 Maps & Mapping 5 12-01-2012 14:52
Login
Username

Password



Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.28 seconds - 72 Queries 2,268,749 unique visits