View Thread: Vietcong remaster mod
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » General Discussion
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 4 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Vietcong remaster mod
desintegrator
Hi / Ahoj

I am looking for people willing to help with this little project.

I just started working on a complete graphic mod of VC1,
Currently i am upscaling all the textures with AI and malually reworking some of them.
This is going quite OK.
I found a guy willing to rework the weapon models and animations, so i will see how this will go.
Alternatively i can probably import weapon models and animations from VC2.

What wold help a lot is if someone could improve the 3D models of vegetation (add some more polygons to them, give them more branches...), thats the most ugly thing about the game.
Then i wish to create some new objects and add them into the original single player campaign maps.

If you are able to do some of these (3D modelling, editing maps),
or if you have other ideas how to make the game look better and wish to participate, please let me know.

p.s.: I can post first screenshots here in a few days Wink
  x 1  x 1

desintegrator
Ok so here you can see some improved textures (skybox, characters and some other objects)

i.ibb.co/yVhvYMM/1.png
i.ibb.co/Vws72Nm/2.png
i.ibb.co/zhLmB7m/3.png
Edited by desintegrator on 01-11-2022 00:28

desintegrator
ok guys, some updated before and after shots.
note that this is very much wip

i.ibb.co/fD28sJV/old-armory.png
i.ibb.co/VYcDdSX/rem-armory.png
i.ibb.co/F4c4XXz/old-table.png
i.ibb.co/4FSCPBS/rem-table.png
i.ibb.co/n6LwHs2/old-toc.png
i.ibb.co/Z1GSDrL/rem-toc.png
Edited by desintegrator on 02-11-2022 00:47

Intruder
Hello,

Interesting work but I was wondering... Could you explain us a little more how your "mod" will be integrated to the game? Will it be a "stand alone" version only? My main concern is about some conflicts and bugs that may appear with the original game and some custom maps (but also for a matter of taste)...
I'll keep an eye on your work for sure! Wink

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

desintegrator
Hi, no it won´t be stand alone, so it would work under any language variant.
Currently there are two .cbf files which you just put in your addons folder (two because of the 2GB size limitation of the 32bit file system). Yes, the mod is already much larger than i would like it to be.
In the final pack i want to also include a render mod which i´m using, and probably the latest VCstarter... I will eventually try to contact their authors to ask for permission.
Also there is currently a need to manually force vertical synchronisation in your graphics driver (i will try to find a way for the mod to do it automatically) because of significant image tearing with those large textures. Also i recommend forcing antialiasing, if you want the game to look less like a LEGO.
It´s a really time consumig work. Just upscaling the textures does really not do the job, so i manually rework those most significant, but it pays off hugely.
At first i thought i will just upscale the main folder of generic textures and export them MANUALLY back into the game, which i estimated would take about four weeks of work.
But luckily i found programs which can do that automatically in batch. The four week work can be now done in four minutes, and I am able to do MUCH more to the game than I thought.
But still i have no one to help me, so it goes slowly. Every other day I sit down to my computer, thinking I will give it 3-4 hours, and ending up with going to sleep at 2AM Grin
Edited by desintegrator on 03-11-2022 18:31

desintegrator
Ok, i think i am now pretty far into this project. i would say about 40% done.
Does anybody want to test?

desintegrator
YouTube Video
Edited by desintegrator on 09-12-2022 00:15

desintegrator
SITREP 16. Dec. 2022

New weapon sounds FIXED
TEXTURES about 80% upscaling done, continuing replacing some of them with new photo textures.
Added new POST PROCESSING with working Ray tracing and Ambient occlusion.

TO DO:
Figure out how to set all vegetation model materials to pick up alpha channel from textures, to achieve translucency of leaves.
Upscale remaining WEAPON class textures (about 50 folders, each containing one texture, mainly intel you pick up from dead VC) very time consuming.
Increase general draw distance of every level
Increase vegetation (grow) draw distance in every level
General bug fixing
Fist Alpha (i will start on that after finishing the base game)
Properly set up detecting GUI to post processing

NICE TO HAVE:

Smooth character models (waiting if i get the correct import/export plugin from the developers)
Someone to help with 3D (sadly still just a one man project)
Smooth models in general (most of them break apart when i try to run a smooth function on them)

desintegrator
Merry Christmas everyone. Here's a little gameplay video
YouTube Video
Edited by desintegrator on 24-12-2022 09:44

xhc
Nice to see new mod!
I think there should be improved weapons sounds.
That sound is not in right way of scene -> sound doesn't correspond distance and conclusiveness.
Quality like doom in 1993 --> youtu.be/j1EXCIu2PLk
My ears: Sad

Regards!
Signaturehttp://moddb.com/members/xhc

http://moddb.com/members/xhc
desintegrator
YouTube Video

desintegrator
Sitrep: The project is practically complete and should become public in about two weeks.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/del-vietcong-hd-remaster

desintegrator
The thing is finished. booze
Czech version is already available for download.
English version will be ready by tomorrow I hope.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/del-vietcong-hd-remaster

desintegrator
English (french/spanish) version is now also available to download!

desintegrator
Updated version is coming in a few days. I finally found some time to fix some issues.
I significantly improved the post processing, fixed the blurred loading bar bug, added some textures which I somehow forgot to upscale, and upscaled main menu backgrounds.
There will also be a Russian version available booze

desintegrator
I am glad to announce that thanks to Gonzos advices, there are gonna be improved shadows, some hi-poly models, and most impotrantly translucent vegetation! I am posponing the update so i can include all the improvements, but it will not be later than three weeks Wink

desintegrator
Sorry guys, I promised the new version will be released a long time ago. But as some significant events happened in my personal life, I became really busy and don't have time to finish the project atm. I made a lot of work on it, but it needs testing and fixing some stuff, so most probably it will be released on the next anniversary in March 2024. I don't plan to waste the work already done. Still love the game and want to give it the care it deserves.

GONZO
I don't mean to be mean, but I found some big bugs in the textures. Enlarged textures are OK, but the alpha channel is not in anti-aliasing.
This can damage the overall image. Textures converted from dxt1 to dxt5 or 3 is not the problem but the shader you use.
Your work is definitely meaningful, keep trying
He who does nothing will do nothing. And the effort must be appreciated.
maybe you get 2 yes
that counts
not be sad, I also doing this for fun
=G=
SignatureVisit my website:
https://vietcongl...press.com/

or my forum:
https://vietcongl...orums.net/

vietconglab.files.wordpress.com/2023/08/vietcong_lab_small.png

desintegrator
i.ibb.co/qxGxDSn/skybox.png
i.ibb.co/4mdCW3G/vietcong-2024-03-25-17-59-27.png
i.ibb.co/2MDH6Pk/vietcong-2024-03-28-16-10-01.png
i.ibb.co/HXgY1mX/vietcong-2024-03-28-16-10-35.png

Everything almost ready. Releasing probably next week.
On these screenshots you can see: Hi-poly Translucent vegetation, new skybox for missions french route and training, new textures of the ancient temple.
Reworked postprocessing.
Some bugs were fixed, improved weapon models, improved game rendered character shadows, draw distances, some additional upscaling...

Jump to Forum: