View Thread: Remake on a new engine?
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » General Discussion
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Remake on a new engine?
gus
Hello to all Vietсong fans!

Six months ago I asked myself the question: does it even make sense to remaster the game on a new engine like Unreal Engine 5?
I was thinking about remaster this game because this game is legendary and until then no one has made a remaster of this game and I decided to make it for free.Smile
I am writing here to hear from you advice and suggestions regarding this.
Does it make sense to remake this game on a new engine? If so, can I be sued for this? Even if I start making a remaster, what elements of the game would you like to see improved in the remaster?
What content would you like to see remastered?
What platforms would you like to see the remaster on?
Also, if everything is ok, who wants to join the development of the game?
Edited by gus on 04-03-2024 22:56

Jerry
It's unlikely that Take2 will sue you. They are not interested in the game anymore.

Personally, I've tried porting it to the unreal engine. I've successfully reimported some maps. But there were constant complications with the models. Some models from the maps just wouldn't load when using the classic besimport. Resolve the collisions and materials that the ptero engine uses in the models. I also made a script to get information about objects, sounds, events from the .sco scene. In the end I didn't even use it. I ended up doing it when I saw that the models were just too square and it looks terrible in lighting. This made me realize that it's a big bite for one. And the time spent is not worth it.

Of course you can try it yourself, good luck.

gus
Jerry wrote:
It's unlikely that Take2 will sue you. They are not interested in the game anymore.

Personally, I've tried porting it to the unreal engine. I've successfully reimported some maps. But there were constant complications with the models. Some models from the maps just wouldn't load when using the classic besimport. Resolve the collisions and materials that the ptero engine uses in the models. I also made a script to get information about objects, sounds, events from the .sco scene. In the end I didn't even use it. I ended up doing it when I saw that the models were just too square and it looks terrible in lighting. This made me realize that it's a big bite for one. And the time spent is not worth it.

Of course you can try it yourself, good luck.

On the one hand, you're right. But I still need to try this, gather some small team and start development.
Edited by gus on 29-02-2024 23:29

desintegrator
How about building it in arma?
I mean most of the assets are already there, we´d just need to re create an open world version of the vietcong map.
You could also play the missions either with bots or human players...
Only i´d rather start building it on reforger, so there will be compatibility with arma 4 in the future

YouTube Video
Edited by desintegrator on 03-03-2024 14:01
  x 1  x 1

gus
desintegrator wrote:
How about building it in arma?
I mean most of the assets are already there, we´d just need to re create an open world version of the vietcong map.
You could also play the missions either with bots or human players...
Only i´d rather start building it on reforger, so there will be compatibility with arma 4 in the future

YouTube Video

Hello. First of all, Arma as an engine and as a game is not optimized, and even if we start doing something on it, we will have to spend a lot of time to fix this mod. Secondly, I want something new and cool for the game. It's even possible that if we release the game to the public, we will have to get the license from T2. If T2 gives the license for this, then we will be in ideal condition, as for me, and everything will be cool. But there are also small disadvantages to creating a game from scratch; you need a team. Today I met a landscaper who can devote time to developing a game. But Arma I don't think that would be a good idea.
Edited by gus on 04-03-2024 22:53

Silent Bob
T2 will never ever give any license of any of their products to anyone.

www.vietcong.info
gus
Silent Bob wrote:
T2 will never ever give any license of any of their products to anyone.

Then how did Grove Street Games get a license for the remaster of the GTA Trilogy (those series of games that are still played and modded for it ever since)? Even if there is no permission, it will be possible to make a game of your own series and not Vietcong.

Silent Bob
Maybe the sold the license for that game...you wont get the VC license for free form T2.....i asked years ago. I remember that there was also a problem with lost/uncomplete sourcefiles. Well, 2kgames forum went offline some time ago so i dont remember the community managers names. Try to contact 2kczech Wink
Edited by Silent Bob on 13-03-2024 00:49

www.vietcong.info
gus
Silent Bob wrote:
Maybe the sold the license for that game...you wont get the VC license for free form T2.....i asked years ago. I remember that there was also a problem with lost/uncomplete sourcefiles. Well, 2kgames forum went offline some time ago so i dont remember the community managers names. Try to contact 2kczech Wink

Got it, well, let's see what they answer (if they even answer)

Jump to Forum: