View Thread: Ocluder, Portals, Sectors - MAX
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Ocluder, Portals, Sectors - MAX
apfelbaum
hey leute,

auf meiner map möchte ich einige spezielle dinge/räume verbauen, die man aber nur kurz sieht (z.b. ein spawnraum). zudem will ich nur in bestimmten räumen (sektoren) nebel haben. ich habe gehört, das man nebel nur in bestimmten sektoren der map anzeigen lassen kann. dazu habe ich mir mal die info datei der pteroengine angeschaut und den portal/sectors/occluders artikel gelesen. wie sonst auch habe ich nichts von den erklärungen verstanden (es liegt nicht an meinem englisch). könnte mir also jemand erklären, wie ich nebel bzw. objekte nur in bestimmten arealen anzeigen lassen, um performance zu sparen oder einen z.b staubigen raum zu "simulieren".

danke im vorausSmile

hey guys,

on my new map i want to create special things/rooms whose i should see only when i'm in (e.g. a spawnroom).
also i want fog in only a few rooms/sectors. i heard you can make sectorfog. so i read the help file for the

vietcong info, but i dont understand what i have to do (not because of my english) could somebody help me and

explain how to make sectors/portals and ocluders ?

thanks for help...Smile

sry for my bad english...
Edited by apfelbaum on 08-08-2011 10:44

Ando
What exactly you don't understand?

apfelbaum
how to create them in 3ds max, the right properties, where i have to place them etc.

Kermit
do exactly like the help file says, then you can adjust the settings later.

nothing wrong with the helpfile..Smile

just start with one sector.. then when you understand how it works you can make lots of them (if you're in the moodShock)
Edited by Kermit on 09-08-2011 16:57

apfelbaum
ok, i create a simple box as sector, but how set the properties of the sector for lights, sound and sector properties (fog)
i didnt change the properties from pic to pic...

object in sectorwith lightmaps...the world light is on (it sets through the backside of the polygons)...
i53.tinypic.com/4twspt.jpg

the object is in the sector and outside its not visible...
i54.tinypic.com/2n8vi3m.jpg

object outside of sector (visible)
i53.tinypic.com/8vqjcx.jpg

if the object is completely in the sector, you can see my fog (black)...
i55.tinypic.com/5jzn78.jpg

...and outside is no fog.
i55.tinypic.com/2hf1m4h.jpg

when the editor camera is inside the sector and i want to select the current sector and i go to properties, the panel is clear (nothing), but outside the sector i have the normal options.
Edited by apfelbaum on 09-08-2011 19:50

Ando
apfelbaum wrote:
but how set the properties of the sector for lights, sound and sector properties (fog)

select sector sub object and go to properties tab.

apfelbaum wrote:
the object is in the sector and outside its not visible...

Then it looks working. You cant see it outside because there isn't portals.
If you create some portals then you will see in trough portals.

I am creating portals so:

- clone sector as new object
- cut portal shape
- delete all other faces
- center pivot to object (its important, because if two portals are using same pivot position then editor don't create world portals correctly)
- reset xform.
- fix properties
- link it to sector

apfelbaum
really big thanks, you helped me alot...

Edit:
but there is 1 problem...if i toggle on the fog in the sector, the objects in the sector are completely black, no matter which color of fog or distance...
Edited by apfelbaum on 09-08-2011 22:45

apfelbaum
hm, when i use an ocluder, i can see the ocluder in the editor, but objects behind it are drawn... what to do?

thx

Ando
- Select some sub object
- go to properties tab
- choose one "Object occluding design" options (Particled or Boxed)
Now that sub object will be invisible behind occluder.
  x 1  x 1

apfelbaum
thanks ando, i'll test when i'm back home...

apfelbaum
yes, it works, but now when i look at the object with the ocluder (all subobjects set to particled), the fps in the editor drops from around 500 to 10? is that normal?

apfelbaum
with a plane (100 polygones) i made a "mountainwall", i cloned the object and made an ocluder. then i detached parts of the mountainwall in 4x4 segments. then i imported the whole object into the editor... when i press f8+f8 i wanted to run around the object and only the polygon segments you can see are rendered... so i edited the properties of the subobjects and set ocluder to "particled". now the fps drops extremly and when i move the editor camera (either in editor mode or the other mod) it looks like the ocluder "break off" the object and moves: when i turn the camera to left left, the object should move to the right from the screen...but the ocluder moves slower than the object and the whole editor doesnt run smooth...it looks like the ocluder is no more "connected" with the object...

hope you understand my worse english Smile

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.25 seconds - 82 Queries 4,922,441 unique visits