· gus 3 weeks

View Thread: VET_SLUMCITY
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
VET_SLUMCITY
Chavez_US
I have just released a beta map for VET_SLUMCITY. Im not sure if it has all the bugs out yet. If you happen to download it, try it out. Feedback is appreciated. Hopefully it works well, becuase i havent been able to host maps yet...

Chavez_US

I have several maps (from long ago) i have been interested in finishing, this is one of them. They are all custom maps. I am back in editing action. Seeya in the bush gentlemen/ladies.

Intruder
Hi Chavez_US,

The first time I loaded the map, the game crashed to desktop (after 2 - 3 secs in the selection room). It may happen more often (I hope not!)...but the second time it was ok.

I also advise "you" to have a look in the mapping section I created in this forum; you may found useful advises for your map(s) either... Wink

Intruder's mapping

See ya!

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 27-11-2011 20:05

KostiCZ
Cannot find download link...?
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
Intruder
Oops, true...forgotten?
I met Chavez on a server and he gave me the map's link, that's why I have it...
Can I post it? I guess I can but...is it a "public beta" or not?
I won't do it as long as I'm not sure to "leak" a private beta version!
Come back soon to check your post Chavez_US! lol

Intruder

Kermit
send it to me too, pleaseWink

Confused Master
yupp, i am also interested. send me a link if you want

http://www.teamplay-community.de
Chavez_US
We tested it tonight (Me, Intruder, Dark, and my son)...It crashed several times. I replaced the scripts, and i am working on lightmaps, and fog settings. Will have a link soon. I want to make sure it is playable, not crashing every 5 minutes like it has been.

EDIT - Ok it doesnt crash now. But i still have to mess with the fog settings, and lightmaps.

Chavez_US
  x 1  x 1

Intruder
Don't forget to take off the buggy version from the Vietcong-Coop.net site before she's downloaded by too many people... Wink

Intruder

Chavez_US
Doing that now, and replacing with latest BETA version.

Ok i fixed everything. Please try it out and let me know if you guys find anything which may need to be altered or added....Thanx.

Rick (Chavez_US)

Here is the link: http://www.vietco...
It is under "Latest new files" section on main page.
It is named VET_SLUMCITY_BETA_D4
Edited by Chavez_US on 21-08-2011 18:20

Confused Master
my game crashes on launching a server with the map.
when i launch it in the editor i get the following errors :
player script init failed [vc_3_1.c]
player script init failed [vc_3_2.c]
when i get shot it sais col_movspherecollide failed 001
i have no clue what that means though...
but i can suggest you to decrease the sharpness of the textures for the street, the grass and the curtains

http://www.teamplay-community.de
Kermit
crashed here as well, will test it more later... but please fix the mipmaps..

Intruder
Hi Chavez_US,

First, I would like to know what is the time you're still ready to put into the map?
The map is already better looking like that but you can go much further in my opinion...

Here are ONLY my advises! Just pick those you're still ready to fix/change/update... ;)

- Add a "Discovery" mode to your map!
- Add an "ambient sound" for a more natural world.
- Add "sound switches" for the houses.
- Add "shadows" for the characters and dynamic object (but it may not work because of the "3 vertices in line").
- Change "the lighting" of your objects (mainly for the huts which are too "bright" inside)
- Increase "the lods" of your grass and some trees to avoid the "clipping".
- By judging the objects on the map, I guess that the huts' objects could be more optimized as well (I'm rather too low with the fps).
- Better protect the respawning area by deleting the waypoints around (already done?).

It's enough for the moment... ;)

Intruder
  x 1  x 1

Chavez_US
-Interestingly enough, im not sure why there is a crash on the loading. The scripts are standard, and the assignments were autmatic.

-I wish i could find the line with the 3 vertices, so i could run LM's.
-Not sure if i want to add sound switches, what would this do for me?
-I could make the walls inside the houses darker, for a gloomier effect (since the outside weather is overcast and about to rain)...great call. Ill try with editor first, and if it doesnt work well, then ill do it in photoshop.
-Adding more trees to block clipping, i can definately do that. Thank you.
-Protecting the spawn area i can also do, however, the vc wont come over there until the first shot is fired. Actually takes them several minutes before they come around the corner. I was trying to make it appear that the US soldiers just got out of their Armored truck, and were assessing the situation.
-The low fps must have come from the scene visibility distance increase from 65 to 100. Ill lower it again and adjust the fog settings (near and far)
-The Discovery mode is for beta testing purposes only right?
-Ambient sounds are in the map, but strangely they can barely be heeard when finalized.

@Confused Master,...you have the old beta, please check the latest at www.vietcong-coop.net

Thank you to those that have downloaded and tested it so far, i take in all opinions respectfully, and there arent any harsh feeling towards anyone. My happiness comes from those which enjoy the map when the final version is released.

Intruder
Chavez, by judging some of your answers, I think you haven't noticed yet that the bold text are "clickable" and will re-direct you to all what you need to know for my suggestions... Wink

Intruder
  x 1  x 1

Chavez_US
I didnt realize that, thx Intruder.

KostiCZ
Can you upload somewhere this "crashing" version again? Or at least pt_excp.txt from your vietcong directory?
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
Kermit
where can I get the latest version?

about face as line,
editable mesh->find spike faces->back to editable poly->select all vertices->weld...
should work, right? otherwise delete parts of you object, export, ctrlz, delete other part and export...

you could use sectors for the buildings, instead of a lot of fog and limited viewing distance... Looks strange if you can't see the walls, but the background (skytexture)...

for the rest I agree with the others.. might have more things when the mipmaps/lm's are fixed and I can normally play it...
Try to use some lights and lm's in the buildings as well, tested it and really boosted the atmosphereWink
For the walls you could use the texture from the halong building, yellow/white instead of just white... And maybe the walls could be a little bit thinner...
Also wooden (window- and) doorframes would be nice.. otherwise its a bit of a white mess!
I remember I used a couple of vietnamese floortextures for Hue.. These are tiles though.. if you need them just ask..

tested betatestB

btw, the map size is quite big? how did it get that big without lightmaps?
don't forget when using standard vc textures.. you can load them from the texturesforall folder instead of adding them with the map.

good luck and looking forward to the next versionSmile

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.52 seconds - 90 Queries 4,919,727 unique visits