Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 1 rating)  
 Print Thread
How to build a map
Kurtz
Can someone teach how to build a map?
which program, suggestion etc etc.
Edited by Kurtz on 14-09-2011 12:23
SignatureI've seen horrors, horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that, but you have no right to judge me.
  x 1  x 1  x 1

Silent Bob
A guide for beginners will be online soon, refer to this post
Edited by Silent Bob on 14-09-2011 12:42

www.vietcong.info
Kermit
Kurtz wrote:

for editing existing maps you'll need the editor, check any vc-site downloads, (the editor has it's own helpfile)

if you want to create your own terrain, buildings, you'll need 3ds max as well (incl. vc plugins available on vc-sites)

There are probably some step-by-step tutorials of mapmaking on some sites as well... Check Intruder's thread for that...
You may also find stuff on youtube etc... I can't guarantee those will teach you the right (best) methods though....Cool

Kurtz
Kermit wrote:
Kurtz wrote:

for editing existing maps you'll need the editor, check any vc-site downloads, (the editor has it's own helpfile)

if you want to create your own terrain, buildings, you'll need 3ds max as well (incl. vc plugins available on vc-sites)

There are probably some step-by-step tutorials of mapmaking on some sites as well... Check Intruder's thread for that...
You may also find stuff on youtube etc... I can't guarantee those will teach you the right (best) methods though....Cool

thx mate.
others programs are needed?
which skills are needed? which characteristics of pc are needed?
i just checked Intruder' thread. thx to him too Smile
your kurtzy
SignatureI've seen horrors, horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that, but you have no right to judge me.

Silent Bob
Kurtz wrote:
thx mate.
others programs are needed?
which skills are needed? which characteristics of pc are needed?
i just checked Intruder' thread. thx to him too Smile
your kurtzy

programs: some programs are usefull, but beside 3ds max all are free
skill: imo the most important skill is endurance Wink
PC: when your PC is able to run vc, its also able to run the editor
  x 1  x 1

www.vietcong.info
ghost
I will make a website on how to make a vc1 map and link to vietcong.info tonight....
  x 3  x 1

Silent Bob
Link to the site added in our links section Wink

www.vietcong.info
Krakatoa
Flee away! Even Kurtz wants to make maps!Shock

The ACE
I take nva-base for moding, I change some parts and save the .sco file.

Question: then what, how can I play.
I get initialization error......

HelpSad

http://theace.favos.nl/
KostiCZ
You need to have gamemode properly set, gamescript (coop.c) assigned to this gamemode, also endrule (default - time) for coop. Then you need level.c script and some AI scripts.

Save SCO -> Finalize -> start VC and start vietcong server, choose your map in maplist and voila
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
techno
I made these a long time ago, there blurry because of you-tube converting them after uploading
and I had only made a few maps before making these movies but for a run down you will
get some useful info as well.

I have been trying to make fresh ones the passed few days
with better hows doe's and don't; but I can't find a program that will record my screen
without framing or making my movie faster then I did it.

anyhow hope these help out,
http://www.youtub...50bvAFGhHM
http://www.youtub...re=related
Edited by Intruder on 11-03-2012 17:25
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

The ACE
KostiCZ wrote:
You need to have gamemode properly set, gamescript (coop.c) assigned to this gamemode, also endrule (default - time) for coop. Then you need level.c script and some AI scripts.

Save SCO -> Finalize -> start VC and start vietcong server, choose your map in maplist and voila

I took NVAbaseVcUST2S for modding and change one position of one US soldier (us1) so I expect that all things you wrote, dear Kosti, is in the files of the NVAbaseVcUST2S.sco.... or is mine thinking to simple?
What can I do m8s, help needed.

Yours ACE

Edit: coop.c added + end rule set now just to find level.c Shock
Edited by The ACE on 11-03-2012 12:37

KostiCZ
Can you upload your map somewhere?
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
The ACE
The ACE wrote:
KostiCZ wrote:

I took NVAbaseVcUST2S for modding and change one position of one US soldier (us1) so I expect that all things you wrote, dear Kosti, is in the files of the NVAbaseVcUST2S.sco.... or is mine thinking to simple?
What can I do m8s, help needed.

Yours ACE

Edit: coop.c added + end rule set now just to find level.c Shock

Damn I over writing mine original file NVAbaseVcUST2S.sco thinking that I saving mine xxxxxx.sco, crap.

To be continued......lol

Intruder
techno wrote:
I made these a long time ago, there blurry because of you-tube converting them after uploading
and I had only made a few maps before making these movies but for a run down you will
get some useful info as well.

http://www.youtub...50bvAFGhHM
http://www.youtub...re=related

Nice initiative techno! But just a little precision concerning the dummies part in your video...
The dummies can be used for more "things" but usually, we are using them to optimize the map, to have "better" fps and to help the Ptero Engine to be more efficient.
They won't help the game to have better graphics...

I will wrote a "how to" about them, in the future, in my mapping section... Wink

This is what is written in the the Editor's help file:
Dummy is an auxiliary object used for scene optimization, scripts and other purposes.
When an object is linked to a dummy near it, the object tree search is faster, thus the game itself performs better. A dummy has a variable called "clip distance" which determines the distance from which the dummy and its children are not drawn anymore.

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 22-03-2012 22:33

techno
Intruder wrote:
Nice initiative techno! But just a little precision concerning the dummies part in your video...
The dummies can be used for more "things" but usually, we are using them to optimize the map, to have "better" fps and to help the Ptero Engine to be more efficient.
They won't help to game to have better graphics...

I will wrote a "how to" about them, in the future, in my mapping section... Wink

This is what is written in the the Editor's help file:
Dummy is an auxiliary object used for scene optimization, scripts and other purposes.
When an object is linked to a dummy near it, the object tree search is faster, thus the game itself performs better. A dummy has a variable called "clip distance" which determines the distance from which the dummy and its children are not drawn anymore.

Intruder

Thankyou, I would like to make a few new vid's on hows and do's but my programs I use too use on W-XP don't work real good with W7.
I did read about dummy's once before but didn't understand what it meant by When an object is linked to a dummy near it
How do we go about linking the dummy to an object?
I tried the same way we would like a way point to another way point but no line would show up to let me know it was done.
I never tried again, but if it betters the FPS in a map, well then for sure I want to make sure I do it from now on.

Intruder
techno wrote:
I did read about dummy's once before but didn't understand what it meant by When an object is linked to a dummy near it
How do we go about linking the dummy to an object?

I would say more linking objects to a dummy... Wink
The "main idea" is to put some dummies above the map (like +5 meters), seperated from each others by 20 meters for example (it's up to you to "feel" the distance)... Now, select all the objects in the surrounds of a dummy and click on the "link tool (P)" (11th icon above the toolbar). Now, click on the dummy and all the selected objects will be linked to it... Repeat the operation as much as possible... If you made a wrong "click" and linked objects to the wrong "dummy", do the same but use the "unlink" tool instead (12th icon) and all your objects will be "unlinked"!

I tried the same way we would like a way point to another way point but no line would show up to let me know it was done.

View > Show > WayPoint paths (Ctrl-W) > Wink
To link them together, select a waypoint, select the "link tool", and click on the waypoints around...

I never tried again, but if it betters the FPS in a map, well then for sure I want to make sure I do it from now on.

It's not really that the fps will be "better" but let's say that if a map has around 25 fps in the scene... With an optimization, the scene will still be smooth by moving the mouse. But without an optimization, with the same 25 fps, you will feel "stutters" (like a lag) in the scene!
It's only if you can "clip" the objects in the scene (we must NOT see those clipping when we aim for example!!!) that you will gain the fps... An object not drawn in the scene won't be "calculated" by the game Engine! Smile

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 11-03-2012 18:54

techno
That's very good info, I will do this as much as I can from now on

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.