View Thread: "link" objects
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 1 rating)  
 Print Thread
"link" objects
apfelbaum
hey guys,

i have a short question. for a more realistic environment in games you can place eg. "3d" gras.

i42.tinypic.com/2mg1r47.jpg

i44.tinypic.com/6rof1i.jpg

but this method takes alot of memory,...

in modern engines it is that the object is rendered 1 time only and then placed alot of times whereever i want on the map.
does the pteroengine supports this option too to save memory,...?

Ando
You know about "Grow" in vc?

apfelbaum
no i don't know how to use it:

Ando
Its used example in "RedDawn" addon on SP map "ricefields" or something like that.
I will write more about it later

apfelbaum
ok thanks!

Ando
Wen you create collision material then you can add there "Grow Type:". This is a one letter name of a directory in \levels\"map"\data\"sub-level"\grow
And then you create that folder and add there "Grass" model and settings file ini.txt
In ini.txt is 3 parameters:

GROW_VISIBILITY= 8
GROW_DENSITY=2.5
GROW_SORT= 0
Edited by Ando on 06-11-2011 21:41

apfelbaum
i'll try it later... really big thanks ando

apfelbaum
do i have to set a collision?

Ando
You need to use PteroMat with Grow setting on that area where you want to use it. Rest of settings probably isn't related with "Grow".

apfelbaum
hm, i describe the way i made it. maybe is something wrong.

1. used the gras object shown above
2. pteromat with texture and "G" set in grow type.
3. created folder "G" in ...\levels\"map"\data\"sub-level"\grow\G
4. exported object into "G" folder with a custom name :
"foliage_drygrass_smallsquareclump"

what should happen: i can duplicate my gras object on the whole map in the editor with a good performance !?
Edited by apfelbaum on 07-11-2011 00:30

Ando
apfelbaum wrote:
hm, i describe the way i made it. maybe is something wrong.

1. used the gras object shown above
2. pteromat with texture and "G" set in grow type.
3. created folder "G" in ...\levels\"map"\data\"sub-level"\grow\G
4. exported object into "G" folder with a custom name :
"foliage_drygrass_smallsquareclump"

what should happen: i can duplicate my gras object on the whole map in the editor with a good performance !?

You created terrain with your new "PteroMat"(with G ) and your terrain don't appear with that grass after F8 ?

apfelbaum
i didnt create a terraon, only the gras.
Edited by apfelbaum on 07-11-2011 08:25

Ando
That new "PteroMat" is area where grass will appear. Grass object material isn't important.

apfelbaum
wait, soon i upload my max file. you know that i want the grass should be seen from a far distance!? it should be always visible except an object covers it.

KostiCZ
apfelbaum wrote:
wait, soon i upload my max file. you know that i want the grass should be seen from a far distance!? it should be always visible except an object covers it.

Visibility can be set in ini file, you can set the same as scene visibility
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
apfelbaum
Visibility can be set in ini file, you can set the same as scene visibility

if i set it as high as i want ( +200m) it doesn't slow down the pc?

here is the max file.
tell me please wether there's something wrong .
apfelbaum attached the following file:
dry_grass.zip [38.13 kB, 427 Downloads]

apfelbaum
If you havent already done this part.... Create a folder in your Vietcong directory and name it LEVELS ...

Open the Ptero Engine II editor and duplicate some scenes...try to pick the ones that you know have jungle type terrains...then go to the folder it created in your LEVELS folder and open the data folder....

you will find a grow folder in there...if you open it you will find a INI text and some nature .bes's...Copy/paste that grow folder into your Vietcong/levels/yourmap/data folder...usually the folder name is A or B or M....

Then in 3dsmax, after you make your terrain and you go to assign a texture to it in the material editor, you put the letter, of your grow file (some of them are named A, B, C, D, E....), in the grow box under where the collision properties are...

As long as there is a .bes of any kind in that folder, and the associated textures for that object placed in your texture folder...it will scatter your .bes's all over that texture in your map...

This is an example of one of the INI notepads in the grow file...

//POROST NIZKY

GROW_VISIBILITY=12
GROW_DENSITY=7
GROW_SORT=0

// end of file

The GROW_VISIBILITY is the distance your nature .bes's will be seen,...in this case here it is from you to 12 meters away...you can set this number higher to 50 meters,...but remember the larger the number the lower your FPS....it doesnt lower it a huge amount,...but it lowers it some...

The GROW_DENSITY is how many of your nature .bes's will be on your texture...the lower the number, the less amount of object .bes's there are,..and the larger the number the more dense your nature .bes's will be on that texture...

Im not sure what the GROW_SORT=0 is yet...

***Now delete the grow.dat file in your folder before going into your map in the ptero Editor...now open your map in the Ptero Editor and hit f8-f9 and whalla...

Chavez/Chavez_US

i found this tutorial. now i think i understand how to do it. but "grow" doesn't seems to be what i want. grow is an object that is scattered over a whole texture and is not on defined (by me) places. here and there should be some gras. i want to place my grass, it shouldn't be automatically placed. also in the tutorial is explained that the fps is lower the higher the distance you can see it. also i want to use the option that the object is only rendered with trees, stones, barrels,...things that are duplicated on the wholes map

Ando
apfelbaum wrote:
but "grow" doesn't seems to be what i want. grow is an object that is scattered over a whole texture and is not on defined (by me) places. here and there should be some gras. i want to place my grass, it shouldn't be automatically placed.

VC Place as simple objects then.

apfelbaum
did you download the file? could you please take a look wether its wrong? Smile

Ando
Don't use "GrowType" with grass material. Grow should by only used in terrain( place where you need those grass objects appear).

Jump to Forum: