· The ACE 1 week
· Bonnfreddy 1 week
· hackepter 1 week
· Terminator 2 weeks
· Silent Bob 3 weeks
· Highl@nder 4 weeks
· Jardacz 4 weeks
· desintegrator 4 weeks

View Thread: Editor soooo slow ( Windows 7 )
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Editor soooo slow ( Windows 7 )
apfelbaum
hey guys,

i have a little problem.
when i either try to render lightmaps in the editor or edit (properties, move etc.) dummies my editor starts lagging or it needs hours for calculating.

in this case i rendered a lightmap for a plane with 240 faces and it took 2 hours, so i took a look in the taskmanager:
the cpu capacity is maxed out to the half, but when i look at the process it takes less than firefox...

Spoiler:
i43.tinypic.com/a499c3.png

i HAVE TO run my editor in 'windows xp mode'.

i hope you understand my bad english Grin

Silent Bob
I guess that the editor only uses one of your cpu cores.....so if you have a single core processor with 3,0ghz it works faster then a quad core @2,4ghz Wink

Try to disable 3 of your cores and overclock the remaining to the max. VC

www.vietcong.info
KostiCZ
Lightmaps computing needs long time on all PCs, for example for Death Valley map computing for all objects took about 3 hours on my quad core 2,4GHz. Did you tried before on win xp? Was the same result? Maybe I would start with reinstalling of VC and editor...
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
Intruder
Haaaa, lightmaps!!! I "love" them... Angry

I don't know if it's related to your problem, apfelbaum but...

KostiCZ wrote:

Lightmaps computing needs long time on all PCs, for example for Death Valley map computing for all objects took about 3 hours on my quad core 2,4GHz...

...what I have "learned" with my Intrusion map (which is rather huge) is that if it takes too much time for the calculation, we are probably "out" of the "common values" we should have used. If I remember well, when the settings were "ok" (it's hard to determined what are the best ones), my pc (single core 2GHz, yeah! lol) needed around 30 - 40 minutes "only" to calculate them... Otherwise it could last hours too!
My advise is, if it takes too much time (like more than 1 hour, certainly on your powerful pc), stop the process in the task manager (save your scene before the LM calculation), and re-try with other values... If I'm not wrong, the LMs weren't very different anyway... Wink

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 28-03-2012 14:27

Curandero
But it's weird that light mapping AND editing dummies are slowing down the machine and to me it looks like it uses all four cores? Not sure. Makes me wonder if it really is a matter of changing the values.

apfelbaum
a few years ago i had windows xp on this computer and lightmaps for 1000 polygons were calculated in half an hour with a multiplier of 50 ( was a simple plane with a few objects on it).

i forgot to say that the calculation 'stucks' at sorting faces... the calculating needs the usual time. in this case i used for testing a multiplier of 0.01!

KostiCZ
Vietcong is all strange, for example I had nearly the same FPS with single core AMD64 and nVidia 6680 graphics card and now with quad core P4 and nVidia 460GTX with standart windows drivers. I meand there is no difference between 30 and 40 FPS with new HW. After I installed original nVidia driver from nVidia web it is realy improoved. Smile
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
Jump to Forum: