· gus 3 weeks

View Thread: Black Pajama Homi maps
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » General Discussion
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Black Pajama Homi maps
RiskyDingo
I love the Black Pajama Homi server 100-point games.

But there are some maps that are not well-liked, not popular. Few players stay long. They are real "downers".

MountainCountryCTF is tiresome and dreary. Hard to explain why, but it is.

Dumpdust v1.3CTF is awful. Meant for 20-minute games, not all-day games. Not many like to play on it.

THM CodeRedCTF is another dreary, boring map. In fact, I would avoid all THM maps, except any that do attract many players.

RiskyDingo
Come on, man, it's the frigging weekend!!

Very Angry

Brchi
I can understand that, and thanks for the opinions. I do also start maps which I dont like personally... its because the server is well visited and I like that.
I also dont change maps often as it has always been like that. Frequent map changes just isn't a thing for our server.

But of course I would like to change things; and have better maps...
To be honest, for me at least 80% of all maps (NOT coop maps) created are maybe well-meant but low in quality at all. I havent found many good maps, but I also dont want to run the same ones all the time.
Something like... MangYang graphically, but for more players, and less file size (and good fps). Where is it? Smile

I hope that there will be some nice new maps created in future (the potential is there, definitely), I also want to support it by Jiankong Network (editor&tools, easy sharing), but thats still a long way..

And yes, ok, Im starting up Homi now.
Edited by Brchi on 15-09-2012 20:28

http://www.myCong.net
Intruder
Brchi wrote:
But of course I would like to change things; and have better maps...
To be honest, for me at least 80% of all maps (NOT coop maps) created are maybe well-meant but low in quality at all. I havent found many good maps,...

...IntrusionWars ? lol Wink

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

Brchi
Hmm, doesnt look bad at all Pfft
But requires fist alpha, which maybe ~30% have Sad

RiskyDingo
Thanks for the reply!

There are 500 maps in my VC maps folder. Some might be as good as Can Tho or Haiphong 2.5.

I've been meaning to sort through all 500 and list good candidates.

But I wonder if VietCong will last long enough to make that effort worthwhile.

And, as you say, 80% of maps are "well-meant" [?], but not good-quality. It could be that there AREN'T any more suitable maps.

[Stronghold2 seemed well-liked. Haven't seen that one in a long while.]

Brchi wrote:
I hope that there will be some nice new maps created in future (the potential is there, definitely).

Maybe we do not need 'brand-new' maps at all? Do you know anybody who knows how to merely modify an already-existing custom map?

I tried to learn how to use the map-editor. But it is extremely "user-unfriendly".

Some "sort-of-good" maps, I think, could be transformed into great maps with a minor change or addition.

For example, I bugged one well-known map-maker (Vrchi, I think?) to add a long, high, narrow, treacherous "cat-walk" along the back mountain in Stronghold2.

I examined the idea thoroughly. A cat-walk might add strong tactical interaction between the central fortress and the mountain.

Of course, the "cat-walk" idea was ignored. It was even mocked by some.

Angry

apfelbaum
What about a mapping contest? I know myself good enough, it could take a long time i finish something, but with a contest there will be good results. Either map remakes or new maps? The winner gets...idk...something special Grin

RiskyDingo
apfelbaum wrote: I know myself good enough, it could take a long time i finish something

You are capable with the map editor? Let me ask you this:

HYPOTHETICALLY, suppose you added to STREAM a tall wall that divides the map in half.

Players can't climb the wall.

Players can only get around the wall by the high mountain path on one side of the map, OR...

...by the log-bridge to and from the cave on the other side of the map, near the U.S. "balcony".

In the center of the wall, there is a 3-story building (like the one in DANANG).

Players can enter one side of the building, climb up stairs to the roof, then run down another stairway to get to the other side of the wall.

Change nothing else.

QUESTION: How long would it take the typical map-maker to modify STREAM like that? How much work would that be?

apfelbaum
theoretically i could do this within one day (saturday, sunday).

RiskyDingo
apfelbaum wrote:
theoretically i could do this within one day (saturday, sunday).

And if I had the money, I would pay you to do that--if Brchi promised to test it with a few 100-point games.

RiskyDingo
To continue:...

The point is, a good "map-revival" might be as simple as applying a "key change" to a good already-made map.

[And willing server operators to run the "new" map(s). Very Angry Wink]

I've seen versions of very good maps wrecked by numerous added features.
One STREAM version had a bunch of little bunkers and things. Kind of ruined it.

Idle ideas I've dreamed up:

BAHNAR
Add a long tunnel, running from the U.S.'s deep left and under the river all the way to the top of the VC deep left.
Maybe add a couple of towers?
(I like Bahnar the way it is, but there is a certain sprawling monotony to it.)

GROUND ZERO
Ladders on the cranes, so you can climb to their tops.
(But not sure if the map's parameters allow avatar presence that "high up".)

HALONGv1.7
Place the U.S. flag way out on the wharf in front of that open warehouse.
Place the VC flag above ground, near the hole where the ladder exits from the VC cave.

CAN THO
I hesitate to suggest adds to Can Tho. Can Tho is near-perfect.
Very narrow ledges along cliff faces above the water?
Docks with ladder access on the water?

STREAM, again:
Make the entire stream too deep to wade across.
Put four bridges here and there over the stream.
Maybe give each bridge a small guard-shack or guard-tower.
Rename it STREAMDEEP, maybe.

BELFALAS-ISLAND
Move the flags further apart:
Place U.S. flag in that lighthouse at other end of the bridge.
Place VC flag on the rocks out in the water, near one of the huts.

That's another thing. Sometimes, just moving the flags somewhere else changes the whole character of a map. Maybe for the better.
Some maps are mediocre just by bad flag placement.
Flags too close together wastes potentially good "battlespace". The DamNhaPhu maps come to mind.

apfelbaum
this year i will create my own stuff with ldc, so i have no time for you -sorry-.

btw., it is unusual to offer money for uncommercial modding and mapping. it won't keep you further in this community, except we would create a whole in one conversion of vc eg. based on the UE3.
Edited by apfelbaum on 21-09-2012 20:12

Brchi
Yea, I like the ideas and would be willing to give new maps a try for sure!

(Oh sorry that homi isn't on, I'm trying to improve performance on new server computer with less single-core power..)
Edited by Brchi on 22-09-2012 16:13

voodoo
Excuse me for breaking into conversation, but if you will ever try new maps, could you please take a look at Lost Paradise in CTF mode? This map has a lot of space for many players and it's green and nice. I never had a chance to see if it's good for gameplay. It can be found here for example:
http://www.vietco...&img=1

RiskyDingo
voodoo wrote:
Excuse me for breaking into conversation, but if you will ever try new maps, could you please take a look at Lost Paradise in CTF mode?

I like how Lost Paradise looks.

Sprawls a bit like Bahnar, but it does have a central crosswise ridge that has to be climbed.

RiskyDingo
Brchi wrote:
I also dont change maps often as it has always been like that. Frequent map changes just isn't a thing for our server.

That is understood perfectly. Changes should be rare, limited and precise. The effect of a change should be tested out.

A great map can be ruined by new features that do not -- how should I say it? -- enrich the map overall.

What if you could climb to the tops of those cranes in GroundZero? Just two (very exposed) ladders (or stairs).

What if Bahnar had one long narrow tunnel, similar to the tunnel in NVABase?

What if all or most of the roofs in =SFX=SupplyDepot could be climbed onto?

What if the flags in DamNhaPhu2b were moved further apart, and the "paths of attack" made more linear with a small wall here and there?

Another issue is at hand: Vietcong is getting old. There is a feeling that time may be running out on player interest. A few well-considered, small but crucial changes to a few popular maps -- and to a few of the less-popular big maps -- could give Vietcong a nice boost.

RiskyDingo
Never cared much for the "100%TownCenter" map. A bit on the small side.

What happened to Haiphong 2.5?

RiskyDingo
What's going on with the BPH server? Frown

Brchi
Will be up again tomorrow.

Jump to Forum: