· gus 3 weeks

View Thread: Vietcong Crashes
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Vietcong Crashes
Robert Jones
Please please can anyone be of assistance.
I am running on the Windows 7 OS and have not been able to play Vietcong for years and I'm absolutely fed up with the whole thing!
I have, to my knowledge, looked up absolutely everything from being an 'administrator' to downloading patches of all descriptions, all to no avail Very Angry

Recently, I have come across this site which, at least, gave me some hope in being able to play the game again. However, I have looked at the interesting input from Silent Bob, and I thought this could be it, this could be the answer I was looking for. (http://www.vietcong.info/portal/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=333).

I managed to download the latest 'realtec' driver that silent bob had recommended and then enabled the stereo realtec in the Sound dialogue box. Then I restarted the computer, opened the game in wondrous anticipation, and guess what???? The game crashed!!!!

Am at my wits end

Help ANYBODY??????!!!

CHEERS, rOB

Bierkes
Hello Rob,

Could you be more specific please?

win 7 32-64 bits?
Motherboard, cpu, grafic card, other pc specs?

What version of vietcong are you running, and any addons?

Also, do you get a error or a crash report, if so, what does it says?

Regards, Bierkes

http://www.esl.eu/eu/player/4007318/
Silent Bob
VC Starter 1.4.1 should do the trick, its available in the downloads section.

www.vietcong.info
Bierkes
Silent Bob wrote:

He mentioned crashes. Without vcstarter you just get kicked out of servers. It doesn't make your vc crash.. so that's why i asked him about the crash/error Wink

Silent Bob
Bierkes wrote:
Silent Bob wrote:

He mentioned crashes. Without vcstarter you just get kicked out of servers. It doesn't make your vc crash.. so that's why i asked him about the crash/error Wink

i think he has the problem that the game crashes to the desktop when he tries to launch it.......

www.vietcong.info
KostiCZ
Crash can be also because too much of maps in your mapfolder... Please specify when exactly game crashed.
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
GoGs
Are your audio realteck drivers work? (the realteck audio properties interface)
If this work... Try plug your speakers in audio card...

If your realteck audio interface not work... You have other audo card, think its CMI but im not sure.
SignatureGoGs

Robert Jones
Well folks, thanks for all your replies and I am very grateful for that.

I will give all your recommendations a go.

from Bierkes - win 7 32-64 bits?
Motherboard, cpu, grafic card, other pc specs?

What version of vietcong are you running, and any addons?

Also, do you get a error or a crash report, if so, what does it says?

Regards, Bierkes

The computer I have is a 2 years old Packard Bell with Windows 7 Professional. (I have also activated the special XP virtual mode but, quite honestly, do not know where to go from here)
iXtreme M5722
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU
RAM - 6.00 Gb
64-bit operating system.

As regards the point of the crash, it always occurs at the jungle section just as the Sgt states"The Vietcong are close you can almost smell the bastards". It then stops and the game closes leaving me with the desktop.

Anyhow, I hope this furnishes you with enough info that you require to help me out.
And thanks again for your time.

Bierkes
@Robert Jones:

Aaah, so it crashes in single player mission? Well since i see you are using windows 7. You need Vcstarter as silent bob mentioned earlier. There is a fix it in, which solved the single player crash bug.

You can find vcstarter at this link : http://www.vietcong.info/portal/downloads.php?cat_id=37

As you can see in a screen there it says : fix single player crash. Don't get that one tho, just get the newest version named : VC Starter 1.4.1

now you should be able to play without crashing.

@ silent bob : sorry m8, you were totally right! i wasn't thinking about single player since i never play that myself Smile
Edited by Bierkes on 04-10-2012 00:48

Robert Jones
Bierkes,
Yes you're spot on, the game does crash on the 'single player' mission. I followed your instruction ref the vcstarter, namely :- http://www.vietcong.info/portal/downloads.php?cat_id=37
But I could not see the screen where it states "fix single player crash".
You have to understand Bierkes, that you are dealing with a somewhat illiterate computer user!!!
When I did attempt to download what you had stated I got this message " Cannot Load Library Logs. dll".
This is all so infuriatingVery Angry
If you are able to explain it to me as if I was a total novice I'd be obliged because at the moment I don't seem to be getting any closer to solving this problem.
For your info, I did start a new 'campaign' after downloading (again not sure whether the download was successful) and went through to exactly the same point in the game only to be, yet again, disappointed and returned to the desktop!!!
If it is as simple as downloading the vcstarter 1.4.1 then I really would appreciate how I can do this successfully. You may have to spell it out for me.
Thanks again for your time and trouble
Rob

Nosek
What's your game version (because I don't see any mention about that)? VCStarter supports Vietcong 1.60 only and that's maybe the problem. Also message "Cannot Load Library Logs.dll" doesn't make much sence since there're only three files in vcstarterv1.4.1.zip file (modified Vietcong.exe, VCStarterConfig.exe - that's the configurator, where you have to check "fox singleplayer crash", and readme.txt). I never had any problem with downloading anything here... .

www.clan-delta.websnadno.cz
Robert Jones
In reply to Nosek, the game is called VIETCONG -Purple Haze
and it contains 4 CDs altogether, 2 for the Vietcong part and 2 for the Purple Haze part.
It is version 1.30
Is that info of any help?
cheers, Rob

Nosek
Alright. So you have to download and install Vietcong Patch 1.41 (not 1.40!) and then 1.60. As I said before, VCStarter supports VC 1.60 only.
Edited by Nosek on 06-10-2012 16:58

www.clan-delta.websnadno.cz
Robert Jones
ok, thanks for that Nosek and I've downloaded patches 1.41 and 1.60. And I've checked on the start screen of the game that it does actually show now version 1.60. However, as soon as I attempt to download the VC Starter 1.4.1 etc etc it does not appear to be installing onto the game software as the 'patches' have done. The computer doesn't seem to like the programme for some reason.
Are you able to give me a link and explanation on how to download it successfully?
Also, how do I know if the programme has downloaded successfully and that the game software recognises as such?
cheers, Rob

Robert Jones
Further, I have attempted to download the VC Starter as linked by Silent Bob and when I attempt to open/run the programme an icon appears stating the following - "Adobe reader could not open 'vcstarter.dll' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged"??????!!! Shock

What is going on here?

Hopefully, this would be the last jigsaw to complete the whole problem, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this.

What can anyone suggest on this?

cheers, Rob (as he opens another Hoegaarden)

Intruder
Hello Robert Jones,

I made a quick search with the "sentence" you posted and apparently, the problem is that your computer tries to open the "file" with the wrong program...
Because you're not a "wizard" concerning the pc world, maybe you made a mistake in the past (?) by making a wrong "linking"!
Have a look on this page to know a little more about what I'm talking about...

I don't have Windows 7 and don't dare to help you further but you should try (maybe) to "re-link" the associated program (?) to open that kind of files. Those who know a little more about such an operation should be able to help you more... Wink

Good luck! Smile

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

KostiCZ
Robert Jones wrote:
Further, I have attempted to download the VC Starter as linked by Silent Bob and when I attempt to open/run the programme an icon appears stating the following - "Adobe reader could not open 'vcstarter.dll' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged"??????!!! Shock

What is going on here?

Hopefully, this would be the last jigsaw to complete the whole problem, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this.

What can anyone suggest on this?

cheers, Rob (as he opens another Hoegaarden)

What did you try to start? vcstarter.dll or vcstarter.exe (application)? If you will start application there is no reason to run adobe reader, because vcstarter.exe will use .dll internaly, not opened by external application.
Edited by KostiCZ on 07-10-2012 08:42
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
GoGs
UMM read VCstarter instructions... And disable antivirus check for vc folder.
SignatureGoGs

Brchi
Could someone remove the old VCStarter versions from the downloads please?

@Robert
Have a clean installation. Delete all previous vcstarter files.
Download VCStarter v1.4.1
Open the zip, see 3 files (incl. readme) in it.
Extract vietcong.exe and VCStarterConfigurator.exe from it and put them in your Vietcong directory (overwrite!).
Choose your options with the configurator.
Now just start the game (with the new vietcong.exe, shouldnt make a difference if you have shortcuts to it on desktop already).
"VCStarter v1.4.1" should appear instead of "v1.60" in main menu.
Edited by Brchi on 07-10-2012 14:51

http://www.myCong.net
Robert Jones
Thanks again everybody for your helpful suggestions. I'll try them all and see if I get anywhere with them.
I may have to ask, as Intruder suggests, somebody who is IT trained to help me out here.
Much appreciated,
Rob
PS If I still hit a brick wall I may get back to you.VC

Jump to Forum: