· Don Turtuma 4 weeks

View Thread: How to increase FPS
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
How to increase FPS
Silent Bob
I was playing around with FPS......its a kinda weird thing.

Following situation:

typical office PC with integrated graphics:

Screen resolution: 1280x1024 60Hz
Intel Pentium Processor: @2,6GHz

FPS on NVA Base (coords 0/0 near VC Flag looking towards US side of map) ~ 45 fps (showfps 1)

i played around with the graphics settings but only managed to increase fps by like +2 FPS

Then i put a standard middle class video card into that PC (GTX460)

FPS increased by like +20 FPS no matter what settings where set in the nvidia control panel...i even started downsampling 2560x2048 everthing maxed out....still ~60 FPS at that position..

Then i overclocked the cpu (to 3.0 GHz) which changed the FPS to around +5 FPS (either with or without video card)

My conclusions:

1) you dont need to have a videocard installed to play VC on a modern PC
2) If you have installed a standard video card....max out everything
3) If you want more FPS....overclock your CPU

Please consider this post as teintative.....further tests with different CPU/Videocards will follow......feel free to test and post your results (screen res,same position on same map, video card specifiaction,cpu speed)
Edited by Silent Bob on 20-02-2013 22:26

www.vietcong.info
apfelbaum
yep, the only thing you really need is a strong single core CPU!

Brchi
45 fps with integrated graphics on an office pc sounds realistic.
But 60 fps and no more with a GTX460 doesn't.

It's very likely that you have "vertical synchronization" enabled in your graphics driver settings. This limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor (often 60 Hz).
So your graphics card could do more than 60 fps, but vsync limits it. Disable it and you will see ;) Also check wiki for vsync.

http://www.myCong.net
Silent Bob
I am aware of the vsync settings and i use it but not for the test i made. When i posted i was refering to the position with the coords 0/0 on the NVA Map and not average FPS Wink

When i play i use other settings and due to lack of a decent monitor vsync to 60 FPS though my videocard would allow a lot more FPS (GTX680)
Edited by Silent Bob on 20-02-2013 22:27

www.vietcong.info
LG
I belive that FPS with CPU influences game:
overclocked AMD causes faster movement
I think higher fps causes small difference in speed of shooting
and also there is the stuck bug or jump bug.

By the way in Quake 3 engine FPS also influences game.

So vsync not good Smile

Also you can increase FPS by disable sound by 10 or more. I think that sound card that is not integrated have also better FPS.
Edited by LG on 21-02-2013 09:45
Signaturewww.vietcong1.cz

www.vietcong1.cz
Brchi
@Silent Bob
Oh well, then its probably really your CPU limiting it. But I still think VC needs a good GPU for smooth gameplay, especially on some maps... So ultimately, it's the cooperation of CPU & GPU.

@LG
Faster movement (everything actually)? I remember that with some older AMD CPU, but it was a timing bug and fixed by installing processor drivers. I don't have this problem with my current AMD CPU (Phenom II) clocked to 4,2GHz.
Slower shooting happens when FPS drop below some point where it actually would become quite unplayable too. But it shouldn't be faster with 200 fps than with 100 for example.

http://www.myCong.net
Silent Bob
Brchi wrote:
@Silent Bob
Oh well, then its probably really your CPU limiting it. But I still think VC needs a good GPU for smooth gameplay, especially on some maps... So ultimately, it's the cooperation of CPU & GPU.

@LG
Faster movement (everything actually)? I remember that with some older AMD CPU, but it was a timing bug and fixed by installing processor drivers. I don't have this problem with my current AMD CPU (Phenom II) clocked to 4,2GHz.
Slower shooting happens when FPS drop below some point where it actually would become quite unplayable too. But it shouldn't be faster with 200 fps than with 100 for example.

I personally dont have FPS Problems (3770k @4,8 GHz, GTX680) ....i was just testing some specs for the upcomming 10th anniversary (does VC run on modern low budget PC´s, etc).

I know that there was issues on AMD (more than 1 core) processors that could be solved by installing the "amd dual core optimizer".....i guess that was in 2005-2007 and i never heard about that problem after that period of time.

www.vietcong.info
LG
Brchi wrote:
@Silent Bob

@LG
¨
dunno maybe i just feel more comfortable with higher fps. But i have another example with lower fps like 40 it is easier to jump higher places. Like NVABase behind window the garden, its hard jump with 100-200 fps. I tested it myself.

www.vietcong1.cz
apfelbaum
You need a strong GPU when you use alot and/or huge textures.

Silent Bob
@LG: hmmm....when you have 200 FPS and only a 60Hz display you only get 60FPS on your screen......i will do some tests when i find time...can you please post the coordinates of the position in map NVA Base.

@apfelbaum: i always use: textures in system memory not in video memory because i think its more stable....

@all: did anyone try to play around with the LAAF (Large Adress Aware Flag) in the vietcong.exe? Maybe we can get better performance if we set "application can handle more than 2GB of Ram" with CFF Explorer......

Feedback welcome Smile

www.vietcong.info
LG
I know what 60 hz display means... use fraps to limit your FPS to 40
NVABase coordinates -39.1/-38.3
or also -1.5/7.4
Yes you can jump on both of these. Smile
Edited by LG on 21-02-2013 16:08

www.vietcong1.cz
DSOP-Apache
my old crappy gfxcard gforce 8600 gt gived in stream 169 fps and with my new card Radeon HD 5770 ,1 gb gddr5 and instead of win xp now win7 not even 60 fps in Stream.

I solved the problem by closing the 3d support software that came with the drivers. Wink its up at 160 fps in stream or up Smile

greets
Edited by DSOP-Apache on 02-04-2013 20:29
Signaturei1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg487/ApacheDSOP/apache.gif

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.59 seconds - 71 Queries 4,880,847 unique visits