View Thread: Fix player name resetting
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Fix player name resetting
Brchi
Hey!

Just found out another thing with help of Gskill, thanks again.
Some people complained about their player name being reset on every game restart. It seems to be a windows bug of the compatibility mode, I will try to find out more.

Solution:
Use VCStarter v1.5.1
- Start game as admin (so that writing to registry is allowed)
- Disable compatibility mode (so that reading from registry is not bugged)

Compatibility mode shouldn't be good for anything in Vietcong anyways.

VC
Edited by Brchi on 02-05-2013 16:03

http://www.myCong.net
Intruder
Hello Brchi,

I've got that problem in the past myself and it has been a real pain to find the solution!!!
I'm posting "as it is" a part of the solution from another forum. It may help not only you to understand a little more the problem but others also I think... Wink

-----------------------------------------------------

Extracts from different posts:

Recently, Vietcong started to crash to desktop without apparent reason...

My "player's profile" seems to be corrupted also... The name isn't registered when I leave the game and restart it. But as long as I "stay inside the game", the "corrected name" is kept...
Also; the "browser's modes" aren't left where I leaved them either (in the coop mode in my case). Maybe my player's profile has been corrupted during one of my VC crashes? Is it possible to "reset" a player's profile by the way?
Note that "the bugs" came back AFTER I re-installed a "fresh" Vietcong for the last time, after another crash! Can my XP's profile be corrupted either? I note that the game is using the "pc name" by default...

I still haven't found a solution to my problem but I wanted to already add a complement of information because it may help other members...

This is a "VC wiki" extract ( by "NASA" ), sent by a friend:

15) In Multiplayer, I can't enter my Player Name, it only remembers the first letter or symbol

The solution is to install the latest patch. You may need to re-install the game, then install all the patches to bring your game up to date. For American users, this would include Patch 1.01 and Patch 1.30. For European users, this would include Patch 1.30 only.

marty6 did some experimenting that provided some insight into this problem. Check this thread in the official Vietcong forum entitled " Hradba #128 hooking error... ". Here is what Marty6 said:

"Then I reversed the experiment. I place a check mark back on the compatibility mode and started up the same procedures and found the check mark spot on 'recording control' unchecked. Hmmm? Well, to make this short, I got another hooking engine problem. Also, I did this with FA. Guess what...another hooking problem.

I firmly believe that selecting a compatibility mode for either exe file will cause this error and also loose your player's name ontop of that. I checked the registry file for Pterodon to confirm my what I had suspected. Either the name had not changed, but did in the programs or it had changed with only having the first letter of the player's name."

If I remember correctly, I (indeed) also used the "compatibility mode" by trying to fix my VC crashes to desktop and yes, I think to have lost my player's name at the same moment!
So, DON'T TRY the compatibility mode with the Vietcong.exe (in XP only?) or you may encounter the SAME problem!!!

It's also really sad to see that all the Vietcong's knowledge is disappearing with the time! The Pterodon's forum is really a big lost!!! Frown

Good news! Here is a part of the fix!!!

Intruder wrote:
I made a test by playing the coop mode (on the Stream map) "inside" the editor,
I noticed that my name "Intruder" was used correctly (and "directly"Wink this time, and the internal browser was showing the coop mode servers "by default" as it should! So, the editor is behaving correctly in this case!

BUT, as soon as I start and use the game "normally", my player's name is the corrupted one ("I"Wink, and the browser is only showing an empty "all servers" list, until I re-select the modes I want again!
As soon as I quit the game to restart it, all the corrections I made in my player's profile (name) and in the servers list (coop), are back to the buggy version, again!
Because it's a fresh and clean Vietcong installation, it seems that the game is using a kind of "Windows' profile" instead!?!
Someone heard about "this" or know how to "reset" that kind of "Windows' profile"?

So, those questions led me to this wiki...

Intruder wrote:
This is a "VC wiki" extract ( by "NASA" ), sent by a friend:

15) In Multiplayer, I can't enter my Player Name, it only remembers the first letter or symbol
marty6 wrote:
I firmly believe that selecting a compatibility mode for either exe file will cause this error and also loose your player's name ontop of that. I checked the registry file for Pterodon to confirm my what I had suspected. Either the name had not changed, but did in the programs or it had changed with only having the first letter of the player's name."

If I remember correctly, I (indeed) also used the "compatibility mode" by trying to fix my VC crashes to desktop and yes, I think to have lost my player's name at the same moment!

By mixing my questions with Sitting Duck's knowledge, he found posts of guys who encounter the same kind of problem; we could "resume" by reading THIS POST only!

Note:
Just in case the post disappears from the net, here is the solution:

To fix the issue:

1. Hit start->run->regedit
2. Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
3. Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
4. Delete that entry
5. If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Hope this helps if you get the issue.

I made exactly the same and guess what?
My player's name is back to "Intruder" and my "server browser modes" are recorded again!!!

"Thank you" Micro$oft to mess with our programs, with the same bug after 2 generations of Operating System!!! Sad

But a REAL thank you to "Sitting Duck" for his precious help and support, to have helped me to fix the first part of my Vietcong's bug! Smile

I will let you know how my game is behaving for "the next part"...

EDIT:
Recent tests with hradba "ON" showed I'm not kicked anymore for the cheat #128 either!!!

Now, I need to check in the next days if my Vietcong game is still crashing to desktop...

Intruder.
Edited by Intruder on 02-05-2013 01:03
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

Brchi
Well, I found the real reason for this. It's an engine bug, writing unicode strings to registry in a wrong way. It just randomly works without compat. mode, but it's wrong nevertheless.
Trying to fix this with another VCStarter update now.
  x 1  x 1

http://www.myCong.net
Jump to Forum: