· Don Turtuma 4 weeks

View Thread: Help with terrains
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Help with terrains
SIR
I have a question about terrains. Well, more than the terrain, is how to create a texture so it won't show all white when load in game. I create picture in .dds and .tga formats. 640x480 (not sure if that matters?) and then open it in 3ds max (is the version 8) select an option called pteromax (or similar) where have all options, that meant to make textures work (if I am right) [note that I have the plugins already installed] But still not working. Is there a step I am missing? Or doing something wrong? Can someone help me with this? I've tried few formats and options and ways to do it but don't get it yet. Thanks in advance Smile

KostiCZ
Did you try to rebuild texture database in VC editor? It is somewhere in main menu (don't know exactly where), called Rebuild TexDB. Then press F8, F9 and it should work. If not, then is something wrong with texture parameters. You can try different size, for example square 640x640 for test
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
SIR
Yes, tried rebuild texdb. And still no working

apfelbaum
Read the "Pteroengine II" helpfile in the editor directory. ...\Vietcong\dev\editor
Anything you really need as newbie is written down in this file.

P.s. A texture has to be a power of two. For example

4x4
8x8
16x16
32x32
64x64
128x128
256x256
512x512
1024x1024
2048x2048

You are allowed to combine all these numbers to e.g. 64x1024

regards
Edited by apfelbaum on 30-05-2013 13:36
  x 1  x 1

Chavez_US
Be careful not to copy/paste a texture that is already "packed" into the Vietcong files. Sometimes that may be the reason it is a white texture (Because it is a duplicate)...

But most of the time it is because you didn't rebuildtexdatabase before re-opening the yourterrainname.sco

Here are the steps:
1. Place object/terrain BES('s) in Levels->Mapname->OBJ folder (you may have to create this folder)
2. Place textures in Levels->Mapname->Tex folder (you may have to create this folder)
3. Open Editor
4. Click Tools -> Rebuild TexDb
5. Click File -> Open -> yourmapname.sco
6. In Editor Panel -> Database -> Current Level -> OBJ(ECTS) will be the files you are looking for...

I have alot of helpful information availiable i have posted at our forums for VET. Here is a link to our website. http://eliteteamw...oards.com/

If you click into the "Mission Control" area you will find alot of helpful level editing information.

Additionally, you can find alot of editing things at www.vietcong-coop....

Once at vietcong-coop.net you have to select at the very top of page on the left side

Downloads --> 1st Drop window choose "Editing" --> 2nd drop window choose "Vietcong" --> then click "Go"

Rick (Chavez_US)
Edited by Chavez_US on 31-05-2013 06:52
  x 1  x 2

Intruder
SIR wrote:

...how to create a texture so it won't show all white when load in game. I create picture in .dds and .tga formats. 640x480 (not sure if that matters?) and then open it in 3ds max (is the version 8) select an option called pteromax (or similar) where have all options, that meant to make textures work (if I am right) [note that I have the plugins already installed] But still not working. Is there a step I am missing? Or doing something wrong? Can someone help me with this? I've tried few formats and options and ways to do it but don't get it yet...

Hi SIR,

It's still unsure if you made it "the right way" but here some things I'm thinking about... If you already "know it", those informations could be used by others too anyway.

- Have you tried with a texture already made by Pterodon? Is it working in that case?
- Are you sure your custom texture is made correctly? With Photoshop (for example), you have to install the (free) plugin from nVidia to export in .dds format. But I also think (if I remember well) that it must be in 24 bites or the texture won't be visible in game (?).
- In 3dsmax, are you "sure" the texture is applied correctly on your ground inside the program? Can you see it on the terrain you created? Don't forget to place that texture in your TEX folder inside your map's directory and to rebuild the "texdatabase" also (as already explained).
Trick: If, when you walk on your white texture, you can "hear and see" the ground collision(s) (in game), your "texture" is probably applied on your terrain but the game can't find it. If not, go back in max because the texture is probably not applied correctly on your ground (mesh).

And for the "new mappers" in general, I really advise you to mainly use the textures already made by Pterodon before to try to go "further"... The game already has A LOT of nice textures and some of them are almost never used. Then, it's only when you will "master" those textures that you will obtain the best results with your own custom ones... At least, you will better know from "where" the bug is coming from because you will know that your "basic knowledge" isn't the culprit... Wink

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 31-05-2013 11:52
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

SIR
I don't know where to find those textures. But Yes, I have all plugins I need for photoshop and 3ds max8. I can't see the texture in 3ds max once I create the terrain and try to apply it. But thought it wasn't necessary. I am dizzy trying to find out how to apply my textures, lol. I will try all these things you all mentioned before... Thank you all for the help, and very soon I'll let you know what happened. Smile

P.s. If can tell me where to find ''made textures'' will be great.

Thanks y'all Smile

Intruder
Just a quick answer because I'll have to go very soon...

SIR wrote:
I don't know where to find those textures.

Editor > Tools > Extract textures from cbf...
Search in the maps folders to extract the textures you want to use on your own map.
Then, go see in the Vietcong's main folder because the Editor have created a folder where you will find all the extracted textures from the game...
Once in Max, use the texture(s) for your ground.

SIR, I really really advise you to still learn the Editor and to read all the "help files" from it (and other sources)! I know it may looks "chinese" at the first view but slowly, you will start to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, to finally think: "Oh, it's working like that!". YES!

As I already told you, don't try to go faster than the music and believe me, I know what I'm talking about because when I started to create maps myself, my knowledge of mapping (and even of the pc world!) was close to...zero! Shock

"Hey, nobody said it was going to be easy!" lol

Don't give up... Only the best will survive! If you don't...you're not "made" for the mapping world! lol Wink

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

KostiCZ
You can open .BES file with Total commander "view" function - F3 and try to search for DDS, then you will see texture names used for this .BES object. That is way I used for my maps.
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
SIR
I've got to add textures to the terrain. Although I still don't know why my own textures don't work. But thanks for the help Smile

Intruder
SIR,

I don't know if you already have this file but I found back in my saves a tutorial on how to apply a texture (and the collision) on a terrain (in 3DSMax)...
It seems that this file isn't spread a lot on the few remaining Vietcong' sites, so I uploaded the file in our Downloads section (Terrain Tutorial)...

Intruder
  x 3  x 1  x 1

SIR
Thank you int, will have a look Smile

Chavez_US
I just realized you may have improperly placed the plugin files for 3dsmax into the wrong 3dsmax folders perhaps...
The plugins i uploaded to www.vietcong-coop.net have instructions provided on where to install each file contents. Dont mistakenly place a folder inside of the folder destination,..just take the contents of each folder and copy/paste them into the proper 3dsmax folder...then reopen 3dsmax again...

By the way, Total commander is what i used to get all of the textures out of the vietcong_us_01.cbf

It has all of the mission terrains and textures. all you have to do is drag the files from the left side to the right side destination file (you create).

Im sure there is a tutorial on total commander using the wcx (.cbf) plugin...probably here in these forums somewhere

Once you learn that, then everything imaginable (in 3dsmax)is possible...

Also, while in 3dsmax, press "M" to bring up the material editor, then you can drag a .dds file right to a texture ball. Then click the "assign material to selection" button in the material editor, then click the "show map in viewport" button in the material editor. Next "right click the viewport name (ie perspective, front, top, or left), then select "smooth + highlights"...Now i bet your texture will appear...

Also, its best to go back and forth between "smooth + highlights" and "Other --> facets + highlights." ~Having an entire terrain show "smooth + highlights" makes many computers lag when trying to zoom in/out/rotate/etc...

Also would help if you right-click the center of your viewport, then select "properties", and de-select (uncheck) the "edges only" box. The right-click the viewport name again and select "edged faces"

After you convert your object (or terrain) to editable mesh, then you can right click the center of the viewport, and select "turn edges mode"...Now you can fix any edges(lines) on your object(or terrain)...This helps when making rocks/mountains/streambeds/anything really...

UVW mapping would follow. In 3dsmax select Modify (on right upper corner - looks like a half rainbow button). In Modifier List drop window (just below the rainbow button you just clicked) select "Vol. Select" Now in the Stack selection level area --> select Face, then in the "Select by" area --> surface features --> select material ID --> use arrow to go from 1,2,3,4,5 (for the polygons you are interested in UVW mapping)...Whatever you want to UVW map it will highlight in red....then FIRST right click your viewport, and select "convert to editable mesh," then in your modifier panel --> select polygons (red box button), then all of the highlighted red will reappear again. In Modifier List drop window select "UVW map" from your Object-Space Modifiers area. Now select Box and set the length/width/height to same numbers (for example 2 for length, 2 for width, and 2 for height). Now check the smooth + highlights as described above, or you can export yourterrainame.bes again and file-reopen yourmapname.sco in the vietcong editor to see the changes...Box UVW mapping works for most things, but sometimes you may have to use other methods...

When i make missions i first open 3dsmax, followed by photoshop, followed by the Vietcong Editor...

This allows me to make terrains in 3dsmax, modify (blend) .dds textures in photoshop and save to vietcong/levels/mapname/texture folder, export the .bes (from 3dsmax) to the vietcong/levels/mapname folder. Then i use the new scene wizard to open my terrain for the first time. Then F8-F9 and run around, then press F8 again...this will create yourmapname.sco file in you mapname folder. Now everytime you open the editor all you have to do is File -> Open -> yourmapname folder -> yourmapname.sco...

For making objects for your terrains, follow same ideas presented above for turning edges and UVW mapping. Then export the yourobjectname.bes (from 3dsmax) to the vietcong/levels/mapname/objects folder. Be careful not to overwrite yourmapname.bes. Then you will have to name the object something different and save it to yourmapname/objects folder...dont forget to copy/paste any textures you used into vietcong/levels/yourmapname/textures folder, then in the vietcong editor select Tools -> rebuild texdb -> File -> Open -> Yourmap folder -> yourmapname.sco again. You will find the new object (you created) in your Editor panel -> Database -> Current level -> Objects location...just double click it and it will show up in your editor.
Edited by Chavez_US on 15-06-2013 17:05
  x 1  x 1  x 1

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.96 seconds - 86 Queries 4,882,956 unique visits