· Don Turtuma 4 weeks

View Thread: transparency objects
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
transparency objects
techno
I don't know how to make bes or use 3dmax and what i'm told it's not easy to do.

maybe someone has already created what I am looking for and can share it?

What I would like to do is add a bes object to my map that has transparency with about 20 dds files slide show.

i will explain.

In one of THM maps there is a tv with a slide show.

Now I would like to add that slide show to a map with transparency effects.

the map I am working on now is a ghost map and I would like to add a ghost moving through a room or rooms.

I don't know if this can be done but I would think it can as there is glass windows in maps with transparency to look through them

combining the tv slide show effect with the transparency window effect I believe this could work and having 20 dds frames would give me the
option to put a ghost on each slide to give the effect that its moving.

CAN THIS BE DONE? and or has it been done before!!!

If anyone would know vietcong.info would know
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

KostiCZ
I think it is not necessary to make slide show, just make ghost object with transparency and then make this object moving by script. But sorry, cannot help, don't have 3dsmax
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
apfelbaum
The slideshow you meant is an IFL

The *.ifl file is a text file containing names of textures as well as the #interval parameter.
It should be stored along with textures in the directory:
[game dir]\levels\[map dir]\tex

This file defines the list of files that form an animated textures. The #interval parameter determines time interval of frame change. It can be contained more than once in the list.

The syntax example for voda.ifl (animated texture of water):
P_X_ALFA0001.TGA
P_X_ALFA0002.TGA
P_X_ALFA0003.TGA
P_X_ALFA0004.TGA
P_X_ALFA0005.TGA
P_X_ALFA0006.TGA
P_X_ALFA0007.TGA
P_X_ALFA0008.TGA
P_X_ALFA0009.TGA
P_X_ALFA0010.TGA

The transparency you can get with a texture with alpha channel.Make the alpha channel in Photoshop. In 3DS Max you activate the transpareny channel (#0 I think) of the texture. just test it out.

techno
The transparency you can get with a texture with alpha channel.Make the alpha channel in Photoshop

I know how to do this...

In 3DS Max you activate the transpareny channel (#0 I think) of the texture. just test it out.

Ok I installed AutoDesk 3ds MAX 8 but like I said in the first post I don't know how to use it, but I will try and see what I can do. Working on how to add the VC Plugins for 3ds Max 8
once I work this out I will try and see what I can do.
cheers
Edited by techno on 16-05-2011 20:36
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

apfelbaum
the plugins you can download in the dl section. they´re in the right order in the folder, just copy the content of the new folder into the old in your 3ds max main folder (plugins/scripts etc.)
then you open the materialeditor in 3ds max and under standart you choose the pteromat plugin. hope it helped

techno
sorry but I don't know anything about 3dsMax and I followed what you said about Rendering>material editor>choose the pteromat
and I did that ok
but what I understood and of course I was wrong is that I could change settings on a .bes file to make things transparent.

I don't want to waist anyones time with this and do appreciate everyones help but 3dsmax looks to be a lot to learn.

If not to hard i wonder if someone else can do this for me and make an object transparent and move in the room or make a transparent *.bes billboard with the *.ifl file so I can change the *.dds files to what I want.

If not I do understand that some things are hard to do and no one has the time.
It would be a great feature to have in my map.

Thanks all

apfelbaum
i can make you a transoarency object, but it wouldn't move in the room. that have to make another one with a script. send me a texture and i apply it on the object withthe right settings.

KostiCZ
Few years ago i made script for moving clouds in one of my maps. This clound was not synchronised on clients so every client saw it on different place (starting position depends on joining time). But if you want it only for "ghost moving in the room" it can be used. I'll look and post it later (evening).
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
techno
i can make you a transoarency object, but it wouldn't move in the room. that have to make another one with a script. send me a texture and i apply it on the object withthe right settings.

That would be awesome thankyou, just make it with any .dds and I will use photoshop to change the image. as a moving object I will use the
Properties option with Billboard XZ and Clip Dist or about 10 so it will look to move in the room and not show until your next to it Smile
If you can do another like the slid show as well I will do the same to it as well.

KostiCZ wrote:
Few years ago i made script for moving clouds in one of my maps. This clound was not synchronised on clients so every client saw it on different place (starting position depends on joining time). But if you want it only for "ghost moving in the room" it can be used. I'll look and post it later (evening).

Ok sweet, that would a great option as well to show different to everyone even better.

Thankyou both very much for your replies

apfelbaum
Or you try it with wobble.

apfelbaum
ouh, i´ve never noticed that...

techno
I have never used wobble, I tried looking for it on google to have a read and the editor settings help but all I find is "Quad Menu : Properties / user define" not much of a help, ""what is Quad Menu"" I would like to have a look at wobble- it might be something I can use. if you could tell me how to get to wobble options I will have a look and play.

apfelbaum
In the Editor import a simple plant, better a bush or a tree to see the effect. in 3ds max you have to fill sth. in the properties : Wobble=0.3,0.3,0.3,2,2,2 try it and your object will dancing around if your not moving ingame, but I would set the Pivot of your object really deep in 3Ds Map like 20m under your object ( if it's not bigger than around 3m) if you need help write Wink
Edited by apfelbaum on 25-05-2011 08:46

techno
ohh ok, I see; wobble has to be done in 3dmax.
when I have more time away from maps and other stuff in like I will study 3dmax and use the youtube tutorial & the tutorials from the dl sections. I thought a wobbly ghost image would look great in the game as well and if done easy then would someone be able to make me one of them as well. I will also put a billboard in the map to give credit to everyones help I have got. such as I did with my last map that's beta testing today and should be out tomorrow.

cheers

Jump to Forum: