View Thread: Vietcong framerate with Intel HD 3000
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Vietcong framerate with Intel HD 3000
bvda
Hi all,

I need to know if Intel GMA HD 3000 in i7 2600k is enough for vietcong ? I know it will run in single player but I want good framerate in coop online with these hungry custom maps FAW

It seems that HD 3000 is on par with older entry level generations from NVIDIA (GeForce 310M) and AMD (HD 5450). So If someone already tried one of these in Vietcong, thank you to report !

Friendly

Attla
I am actually playng with an AMD HD 5054 with 2 gb of memory , plaing with resolution of 1280x1024 windowed on a 1920x1080 screen. Not the smouther experience but is doing well. Also your cpu is enough for an old and respectable game as Vietcong.

Silent Bob
From experiance i can tell that VC is more related to a high processor speed than good video card.

I can play in 1280x1024 on HD2000 as well (with a 2,4GHZ dual core processor), FPS depend on the map.

www.vietcong.info
bvda
Attla wrote:
I am actually playng with an AMD HD 5054 with 2 gb of memory , plaing with resolution of 1280x1024 windowed on a 1920x1080 screen. Not the smouther experience but is doing well. Also your cpu is enough for an old and respectable game as Vietcong.

Thank you for your reply Attla, so HD5450 can do the job windowed in low resolution, good point. But do you have enough fps (40/50) in large custom maps like "Deer Hunter" for example ?

bvda
Silent Bob wrote:
From experiance i can tell that VC is more related to a high processor speed than good video card.

I can play in 1280x1024 on HD2000 as well (with a 2,4GHZ dual core processor), FPS depend on the map.

Thank you for your reply Bob, I already tried HD2000 (I3 2100, 3,1GHZ) but it was not enough for these coop maps we used to play. You are right, it really depend of the map and some custom ones are damn hungry for an old game ! I just found a test on the web and it seems that HD3000 give +/- 10FPS more than HD2000, not so much…

KostiCZ
Deer Hunter is exception, don't talk about this map. For example at standart NVA base I have several hundreds FPS but in Deer Hunter at some places I have less than 10FPS
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
Silent Bob
If the map is that good we could try to improve the FPS.....

www.vietcong.info
Peter Shannon
Deer Hunter is a shocking map with very low fps.NO! Its creator has evidently never heard about the optimization of map. And also he doesn't know typical "features" of Vietcong engine.

To Silent Bob: I think, it is unnecessary to try to improve the fps. This map is no "jewel". But it is my opinion. I don't push it to anyone. Probably some people will not agree with me.
SignaturePeter Shannon
Alpha Team, www.alpha-team.cz

www.alpha-team.cz
bvda
KostiCZ wrote:
Deer Hunter is exception, don't talk about this map. For example at standart NVA base I have several hundreds FPS but in Deer Hunter at some places I have less than 10FPS

Hi Kosti, Deer Hunter is demanding but is not an exception. I had this one in mind for an example but there is a lot of custom coop maps that need some grunt. At the opposite side, NVA Base is not representative because it's easy to run. When I tried HD 2000 some years ago, it was close to effortless in NVA Base but hardly playable (or impossible) for a lot of custom maps. Anyway, it may be necessary to go to haswell and HD 4600 to have a confortable coop online experience without a GPU.

bvda
Peter Shannon wrote:Deer Hunter is a shocking map with very low fps.NO! Its creator has evidently never heard about the optimization of map. And also he doesn't know typical "features" of Vietcong engine.

Others custom maps in coop are not so well "optimized" and need more grunt than NVA Base. This is regrettable because many of these "non-optimized" maps are interesting to play…

Attla
Tested few maps, my average fps is around 100.
my system: intel i7 3770 3.4 GH - 32 mb ram 1600 . AMD ati radeon HD 5450.

bvda
Attla wrote:
Tested few maps, my average fps is around 100.
my system: intel i7 3770 3.4 GH - 32 mb ram 1600 . AMD ati radeon HD 5450.

I just did some tests with an I3 2100 integrated HD2000 and I am far from your fps… So I pushed the Intel APU to 1500mhz with 1500vcore to give 10 fps more. On the last test online, I was beetween 25 and 100 (when looking at the ground). With this overclocking, I should be on the same league as your HD 5450. I guess your monster CPU do the difference. Thank you for your report Attla.

Silent Bob
i allready stated that a powerful CPU will result in good FPS. I might still find a screen of my old Pentium D930 @ 3,7GHZ with a nvidia Geforce 6200 with ~150FPS

EDIT:

Here is a small test on one of my old PC´s (Intel E5300):

1st: no video card, Q45 Chipset (latest drivers), 800x600 resolution

2nd: nvidia GTX460 standard clock, latest nvidia drivers, 800x600 resolution

3rd: nvidia GTX460 standard clock, latest nvidia drivers, 3360x2100 resolution

You may notice the difference from 42,8 FPS (Q45) to 79,9 FPS / 81,8 FPS (GTX460)
You may also notice that the FPS difference between 800x600 and 3360x2100 is only 2 FPS.

So......

Yes, a good video card boosts your FPS to a higher level but i am sure my Pentium D930@3,7GHZ had more FPS with a weaker video card in the same resolutions.

I think Kosti still has an old GTX460....maybe he can post some FPS on NVA with a better CPU Wink ( coord still: 0/0 near VC Flag CTF mode )
Silent Bob attached the following images:

[56.26 kB]

[213.5 kB]

[56.53 kB]

[180.37 kB]

[55.91 kB]

[1.9 MB]

[86.37 kB]

Edited by Silent Bob on 10-12-2013 00:11

www.vietcong.info
Silent Bob
Some more tests:

i5 2520M with HD3000

as you can see the HD3000 has almost same FPS (75,2) as the E5300 with a GTX460.

No wonder as they have almost the same CPU clock......
Silent Bob attached the following images:

[35.42 kB]

[227.06 kB]

[53.47 kB]

Edited by Silent Bob on 10-12-2013 11:35

www.vietcong.info
bvda
Thank you for these exemples.
I just installed the latest driver for intel apu hd2000 in I3 2100 (I thought I was up to date but…). After a quick try, it seems to make a noticeable improvement. I have to test it with more coop online maps to determine how effective this new driver is.

Edit : I do not know why, but if I run the game in 32b, I have two times more fps than in 16b mode ?! I tried 1980 x 1080 in 32b mode and I have 20/30 fps on some hungry maps and 40/60 on the others. I am really surprise of the results of HD2000 here, the new driver is effective. The only problem is a kind of flickering on some textures (vegetation particularly).
Edited by bvda on 14-12-2013 22:35

Kpt Haddock
Peter Shannon wrote:
Deer Hunter is a shocking map with very low fps.NO! Its creator has evidently never heard about the optimization of map. And also he doesn't know typical "features" of Vietcong engine.

To Silent Bob: I think, it is unnecessary to try to improve the fps. This map is no "jewel". But it is my opinion. I don't push it to anyone. Probably some people will not agree with me.

For the sake of enlightenment for Mr. Shannon I shall reply that DeerHunter is only a problem for people who insists on playing VC on a Commodore 64. I have no problems with improvements of the map at all. There is some music that needs to be changed into the songs from the movie like "you're just so good to be true" in second village and the guitar themesong at spawn instead of "Hey Joe." We didn't know how to do that at the time of the map making. There is also some issues with a white head under the dead soldier under the Buddhas ass. Maybe some work on a skin package to enforce comparability with the movie... like headbands and naked upper bodies and so.
What is the case with DeerHunter is of course the very clear weather. That means that the clip distance is set very high. That is not a question about the creator being ignorant, but rather a question of aesthetics. Since the weather in the movie is very sunny and suffering hot... I really tried to get that atmosphere in there. That is also the case with the trees and plants... they are there to make a good realistic impression of jungle - it has it's costs on the fps, but for modern pc's DeerHunter is no challenge at all.
Buddha on top of the map has quite some tiles even though it has been optimized, but it is important that you can see Buddha and the waterfall all the way to create excitement - they are somehow the clues of the map; places where the going is tough.
If anyone wants to improve this map don't fog it down. Do you want to play a DeerHunter map fogged down go play BlackApril.
Buddha could be optimized and the tunnel under the water - those are big sinners when it comes to fps...
BUT!!!!: aesthetics are important! There are too many ugly maps around. That will work for hit and run, but not for an atmospheric COOP round.
Get a better PC guys... and improve the maps into realism not minimalistic views of single trees in fog and wierd containers.
You need to recognize that the game also is about the scripting of the gooks, extensive, dynamic waypoints and how the landscape makes it possible for you to find cover. The gooks in DeerHunter are moving and they are viscous.
DeerHunter and BlackApril are designed for COOP not fastshooters... and you will definately not succed without communication.

Jump to Forum: