· gus 3 weeks

View Thread: Some help plz
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Some help plz
SIR
Hello. I have 2 questions and hopefully someone can help.

First thing I'd like to know is how to add a hand map for players in my map.
And second, I'm trying to add rain. I got it once by reading some things here, but isn't working anymore. I'd say I got it once ''luckily'' lol. In some parts wasn't raining so tried to fix it but I think I messed up something and there's no way to make it rain anymore Shock .

Thanks in advance Smile

Intruder
SIR wrote:
Hello. I have 2 questions and hopefully someone can help.

First thing I'd like to know is how to add a hand map for players in my map.
And second,...

Hello SIR,

The first question...first! We will see the rain after you fixed the handmap... Wink
Open the Editor and in the help "tab", select the "index" and then the "fpv map". All is explained in the little tutorial and should be clear enough to have your handmap in game...
Note that to save in a *.dds format, you need a pluggin to install in photoshop...

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 16-12-2013 00:08
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

SIR
Yes, Intruder. But it's really ''simple'' explanation and it's not working; maybe, cos it's so simple that I'm doing something wrong, lol.
For example, I do everything it says but when I open in game still white. How should I do it exactly? Leaving the .dds in the same folder doesn't work, and moving it to 'tex' folder either...

P.s. Rebuild texDB doesn't help either. NO!

SIR
I will try that. But do I have to apply it however, something else? Or just do it and leave it ''as is'' after finish?

Intruder
SIR wrote:

...But it's really ''simple'' explanation and it's not working; maybe, cos it's so simple that I'm doing something wrong, lol.
For example, I do everything it says but when I open in game still white. How should I do it exactly? Leaving the .dds in the same folder doesn't work, and moving it to 'tex' folder either...

You have a white texture instead? I don't know what you're doing wrong SIR, I never got such a bug...
By following the tutorial, the game will create a picture of your handmap in the mapfpv folder as a *.bmp file... You now have to open that image in Photoshop (for example) to edit it. Give the look of a handmap to that image (VC style is prefered of course) and once it's done, safe it without changing the size of it as a *.dds file by using the NVIDIA pluggin previously installed in Potoshop (save in 24 or 32 bits if I'm not wrong)...
Now, place that *.dds file in your mapfpv folder and it should be working...
Note: I don't think it has an influence but it's preferable to place a "North Star" (dummy) on your map before to do the handmap bmp image...

If it's still not working, you're still doing something wrong... In that case you will have to try, one by one, all the possibilities available. It's a long and boring process to do but most mappers passed such moments! Wink

Good luck!

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

SIR
Well yes. I have that bug Intruder. But you mentioned a folder. Casually; or not, lol, my editor (or whatever) does not create any folder called like that.
Doing the tutorial step by step, i get a bmp file. Open in photoshop (i have all pluggins needed) edit it and save as dds. All goes into the 'data' folder; same as when do rain (i got the rain done, by the way Smile ) and that's all. Should I create that folder manually and move every stuff there then? Maybe that could be the 'error'?

Intruder
I don't know what's going on with your Editor but normally, the bmp file should be in the mapfpv folder, created by the editor in your data folder!

Should I create that folder manually and move every stuff there then? Maybe that could be the 'error'?

I don't know... TRY!!! lol
In your data map's folder, create a mapfpv folder and place in it: map.bmp, map.dat and map.dds files...

Intruder
  x 1  x 1

SIR
I finally got to fix it!! YES!
I agree it's long and boring... and complicated Pfft. And a very little detail can cause too many headaches lol

Thanks for all the help. The work may continue Smile
Edited by SIR on 18-12-2013 11:01

Intruder
Good!
But it would be nice to write what you made to fix it... Where was the mistake? It may help "others" to avoid to do the same one! Wink

Intruder

SIR
You're right intruder... Would help. But was stupid failure. LOL
If there's a new mapper that tries to do it, my advice is: PRESS THE SPACE BAR!! haha Grin
That was the 'fail'. I didn't do it because when I read the 'index' thing it says something about 'hotkey' spacebar but I thought that it was only another 'shorter' way to save it (like for example pressing Ctrl+H does same action as a button in the toolbar)... so it was saving in a different part (were replacing level.bmp used for the rain), and weren't creating the mapfvp folder or .dat file.... That was what I was doing wrong.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.22 seconds - 71 Queries 4,920,944 unique visits