· forrest747 3 weeks

View Thread: custom sound option from editor
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
custom sound option from editor
techno
the case about custom sounds is resolved at this link.
http://www.vietcong.info/portal/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=55&pid=475#post_475
and has all the info you need to know about adding your sounds

I would just like to find out a little more as to why the custom sound option in the editor is there
and maybe another way for custom sound.

1st
viewing this youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrHXZEReBw
Clearly the map editor has it's own custom sound options to include ones own sounds
that will be herd when joining that map, was this option in the editor never completed?

one would think if the option is in the editor that it should work when the sound is added and map finalized.

because the .wav files need to be saved into your mapname>data>SND folder for the editor to see the custom sound
and the editor will only see .wav files when adding them this way I would believe that it should work. maybe there is something
some kind of option or setting over looked for this option of custom sounds to work when added this way.
just seams silly to have the option but it don't work.

maybe for custom sound to work this way another file is needed such as levels.ini file is needed to make rain or snow work

2nd
while doing the custom sounds by extracting the *.dat include your custom sounds by replacing other sounds with your own works well
if joining a map with say frog#1 then next map has frog#1 replaced with custom sound then you will still here a frog.

Now to make a custom sound work you need to extract your .dat file make a folder SND and then inside that another folder called nature-looped and add your sound zaby03.wav which is the frog#1 sound then repack your files back to a dat file (read first link for better info and details)

as this option works if the map is loaded first everything is great but if your custom sound is a song or some crazy sound and you change the map to jungle then your song or crazy sound is playing all over the map, ""as funny as this is"" it can get annoying after playing for a long time, and the only fix is to leave the game close out of vietcong and then come back into game.

I would think if I can add a custom sound by making the correct folders and replacing a sound with a custom sound then should I not be able to edit
the snd_groups.ini file in the dev>editor folder and include it in my map folders plus also edit the XSOUND.TXT and include this in my map folder before compiling
so that the game will look at the custom .ini file and custom txt file and get its new file/sound lists and then play the custom sounds. so then when finalizing the
map the compression is good and no need to un-pack the dat file?.

Just asking because it doesn't make any sense as to why have a add custom sound option in the editor if it don't work.

cheers
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

techno
Hello
Would like a little more info on the XSound.txt

example:
`snd 2313 technika-looped\tank3 100 44100 0 3 150

snd 2313 is the number you use to play the sound file located at folder *.CBF \SND\technika-looped\tank3.wav

but the numbers after it is what i don't fully understand

100 44100 0 3 150

100 is volume
44100 I think is the frequency setting that the file is
0 I do not know
3 I do not know
150 is hearable distance

this next line is in the header or the xsound.txt but doesn't make all the much sense to me

`snd [id] [filename] [volume] [frq] [rndfrq] [mono] [min]

OK so
snd = play a sound
ID = number of the sound files such as above 2313
Volume = loudness of sound file to be plaid
frq = the frequency the file needs to be saved as
rndfrq = I don't know !!! "random frequency" maybe - IF so then makes no sense as to why randomly change frequency
mono = I don't know, Isn't mono just basic sound plaid on all speakers where stereo is left and right channels? why would there be option 1,2,3,
min = to me in English tells me how long the sound plays for! but to my understanding in the xsound.txt it means hearable distance

Perhaps there is already an explanation somewhere else that someone could post the link here for me
or maybe if someone has the time can post a detailed reply about all the single sound options from the header of the xsound.txt
or maybe someone has already made a custom xsound.txt file they will share that I can look at and study it to try understand it
a bit better my self!!!.

reason for asking, wanting to know more.

I want to edit the xsound.txt file with something like the following

`snd 9001 custom\custom1 75 44100 3000 1 10
`snd 9002 custom\custom2 75 44100 3000 1 10
`snd 9003 custom\custom3 75 44100 3000 1 10
`snd 9004 custom\custom4 75 44100 3000 1 10
`snd 9005 custom\custom5 75 44100 3000 1 10

this will be so all custom sounds I add to a map will be named
custom1 ,, 2 ,, 3 and so on

so while making a map and using the dev_editor add custom sound option to add the custom sounds
I could then here the sounds while in the editor to know exactly what the map sounds like.

then once finished and map finalized all I would need to do is unpack my dat file
and repack it with SND\CUSTOM\ and my sound files.

Cheers

techno
I would also like to include another finding, confusing me more.

I put all the sounds I want in my map under the folder data\mapname\SND
now with my map open in the Dev_Editor I I go to Editor > Sound Editor

I add all my sounds by adding NEW giving the sound a name > browse and select the sound.wav
after doing this I add an event and select me sound and all my sounds are found under CUSTOM
with numbers starting from 9000,, 9001,, and so on. as one would have expected

OK now map all setup sounds everything working in editor......
I finalize and test map. but no sounds are playing OK .. I am sure we expected this

but here is the weird part, the sound files are in the map.dat "they did save with finalizing"
BUT why do they not work?

then another test, I setup port forwarding to my router so I can run a server on my PC
I then started a server on my computer using the DEV_Editor by going to GAME>GAME MENU
NOW I have a server running saying version 1.61
I then got a friend of mine to connect to my server with his dev_editor and perfect he can here all the custom
sounds as well, problem is. we are both in editors. Only after finishing a map and finalizing it is when
the custom sounds no longer work.

I am willing to start a server with the editor again if someone else would like to explore this!!!

I do believe I am missing 1 step as to making the sounds still work after finalizing the map, the sounds are there
in the .dat file so why are they not working.

I would think maybe i need to include a edited xsound.txt in my dev folder or in my map.dat or map.cbf

I need a better understanding of the xsound.txt if anyone can help.... or help with what step is missing...

Intruder
I can't really help you but I'm almost sure that all the sound's functionalities haven't been totally implemented in the game (1.60)... That's why we have to use "tricks" to have custom sounds into our maps...
I don't know if the game and the Editor versions are "linked" together (or should be) but if the Editor has the 1.61 version and the game "still" the 1.60; it could explain why it's only working correctly when your mates rejoin you with their editor aswel...

Intruder

Jump to Forum: