· Don Turtuma 4 weeks

View Thread: editor and compiling failure
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
editor and compiling failure
RiskyDingo
I could not find a fix for my problem of my Ptero editor failing at "Compiling scripts", even after re-installing the editor. I tried copying edited SCO files to the Levels folder in Vietcong in my old laptop, but the editor on that machine acts like no changes were made to the map at all.

I think the data structure of the Ptero Engine editor simply does not allow that. The editing process is a too-integrated and piecemeal operation inside the editor.

But if anyone here has had a different experience, then let me know.

I will have to re-install the Ptero-engine editor and Total Commander on my old laptop, and just make maps on that.

But I'll have to re-install Vietcong in the old laptop, because I did a massive multi-folder transfer and overwrite to see if I could trick the editor into thinking the data- and file-structures had not changed.

But to do that, I have to wait for a new CD-ROM drive to get here to replace the bad one in the old laptop (found a new one on eBay for just a few dollars).

It's just one damned thing after another, as we like to say in the U.S. Angry

Brchi
Probably you should've been saving the scene into levels\<mapname>\..., not somewhere else (like "Save" and not "Save as").
Why do you want to work on your old laptop now? Just to a quick test if this is the only problem!
Start from scratch, open the .sco, quickly move something around and save.
Then close the editor, reopen it, load the saved .sco file (the modifications will be there for sure) and try to finalize.
Edited by Brchi on 29-01-2015 21:27

http://www.myCong.net
RiskyDingo
Brchi wrote:
Probably you should've been saving the scene into levels\<mapname>\..., not somewhere else (like "Save" and not "Save as"Wink.

I eliminated that possibility early in my testing.

Brchi wrote:
Why do you want to work on your old laptop now? Just to a quick test if this is the only problem!

Years ago, a THM player stepped me through the map-editing process on the Old Laptop (which still has Windows XP), and I was able to create a working map. (For some reason I did not write anything down and I forgot how we did it.)

I am 99 percent certain there is a quirk in my New Laptop, possibly some obscure background process, that makes the Ptero compiler fail. It might be tied in to something peculiar in Windows 7. I tried everything with anti-virus permissions, and various operating-system compatibility choices.

Brchi wrote:
Start from scratch,...

Exactly. Starting anew on the Old Laptop is as "scratch" as I can get. Getting the new CD drive for Old Laptop is a trivial expense, and a minor delay.

Brchi wrote:
... open the .sco, quickly move something around and save. Then close the editor, reopen it, load the saved .sco file (the modifications will be there for sure) and try to finalize.

Yup, tried all that on New Laptop. I made a minor edit to the THM Areana map -- an edit which I begged numerous map-makers to try, FOR YEARS... Very Angry -- did a simple save and tried to finalize. Compiler still failed.

You mentioned before that the compiler was "fragile". I think I have proved that theory. Frown

Die
I had same problem, only thing that helped me was editor.exe ,,run as administrator" and move all files from ,,Virtual store" to levels/yourname.
SignatureForza Vale!
Go Wash!

Jump to Forum: