View Thread: Rain in map
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 2 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Rain in map
techno
Hi

I was wondering how would one go about making rain for a part of a map and not the
whole map.

I know how to add the level.ini and set speed color and size to the whole map but I
am working on a map that I would like just a small area to rain. "1 corner"

can this be done?
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

GoGs
Yes you need use Level.bmp

////////////
menu : editor \ level bitmap view

After launching this tool, the scene is shown in the top view. The cursor keys move the scene, while +- keys zoom in/out. Position the whole scene within the view and zoom in as much as possible. After that you can save the bitmap (in the *.bmp format) and return back to editor by the same menu item.

menu : editor \ save level.bmp
hotkey : f1

After the bitmap has been exported, it is necessary to save the scene!

The texture needs to be processed in a bitmap processing program that supports the *.tga file format. The editor uses separate color channels, each of which has a different function.

The bitmap contains one pixel with RGB values of 255,255,255 which marks the absolute zero (the beginning) of the scene's coordinates system. This pixel has to be preserved even in the processed version of the bitmap! The bitmap can be cropped, but its scale has to remain unchanged!
///////////
OPen in Photoshop

So if your green color is: 0,250,0
Blue color is: 0.0.250
AND don't forget to make 1 px (for middle) White color: 255,255,255
then save to tga format named Level.tga

Then you need make ini for rain:
RAIN_area= area_id, appear_up, around_tolerance, wind_x, wind_y, wind_rnd, speed, intensity, drop_len, drop_width, color_r, color_g, color_b, color_a

Use editor help, for more info
SignatureGoGs

techno
thanks for that gogs.
I understand all that and tried it. my rain was working before doing this but now it stopped
and even with the backup level.ini my rain is not working anymore. :(

Download source  Code
RAIN_visibility= 10
RAIN_density= 1
RAIN_area= 250,2,1,0.02,0.05,0.05,40,30,3,0.01,245,245,245,60
VIS_use= 0
WATER_fog= H-,71,75,54,0.1,5,0,0.5,5
WATER_sound= H-, 2205

PL_shad= 1, 0.3

AIGRID_everywhere= 1

RAIN_area= 250 meaning it will only rain where the blue is "YES"

I must not be doing something right..
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

techno
\\\\I will explain what I did

Following your steps
I created a Level.bmp "this is the same steps to follow for a player map that he holds"

////////////

The texture needs to be processed in a bitmap processing program that supports the *.tga file format. The editor uses separate color channels, each of which has a different function.
\\\ I used PH8 to edit the .tga

///////////
OPen in Photoshop

So if your green color is: 0,250,0
Blue color is: 0.0.250

\\\
I did all this. Made the whole tga green color with settings 0,250,0
and then the area I want the rain with Blue color settings 0.0.250
and in the middle of the image a white 1px color settings 255,255,255

////
Then you need make ini for rain:
\\\
this is the settings i used
RAIN_area= area_id, appear_up, around_tolerance, wind_x, wind_y, wind_rnd, speed, intensity, drop_len, drop_width, color_r, color_g, color_b, color_a
RAIN_area= 250, 2, 1, 0.02, 0.05, 0.05, 40, 30, 3, 0.01, 245, 245, 245, 60

and the level.tga file is in the same folder as my level.ini file

Can someone explain where I went wrong please

GoGs
You need to make: Blue is rain area Green is without rain... But maybe is reverse did you try?
Go to data/MapNAme/ and delete rain.dat
and rebuild rain again. Because if rain.dat exist he don't build new rain!!!

level.tga must be in data/mapname

can be that you maybe make something wrong in level.ini... Copy all info from Storm map... and then go slowly change data. and areaID must be you tga Green/Blue color
Edited by GoGs on 05-06-2011 11:22
SignatureGoGs

Intruder
techno wrote:

To avoid any confusion, that white pixel is already created by the Editor... You don't really have to create it but just to "spot it" on the image, to be sure you won't paint on it... Wink

From my own experiments, the rain stuff can be very tricky also, and sometimes, it won't work as it should for "x" (still unknown) reason! Angry

Intruder.

techno
Still no luck with this, But knowing about the white dot and how to find it does help allot
I will work more with this tomorrow. thanks all.

techno
Should there be a white dot in the center of the tga as the only white dot I can find on the image is where X,Y,Z, blue red green lines cross each other. I did what you said gogs about delete rain.dat and didn't work, I used rain.dat and levels.ini from storm didn't work so i tried all three rain.dat levels.ini and and level.tga and still no rain. if I delete all files from data/mapname and put only the level.ini in by its self the rain works but everywhere on the map and not just in a selected area. I made a step by step tutorial as I did everything
in the hope everything works and the tutorial will help someone else. Please if you wouldn't mind downloading this zip file and have a look at the pdf inside it and let me know what i am doing wrong.

cheers
techno attached the following file:
rain.zip [67.83 kB, 518 Downloads]

GoGs
OK i send you my BMP and then remake TGA...
My color was on 255!!

My snow looks like that in ini file
Download source  Code
RAIN_visibility= 13
RAIN_density= 0.7

//RAIN_area= area_id, appear_up, around_tolerance, wind_x, wind_y,  wind_rnd, speed, intensity, drop_len, drop_width, color_r, color_g, color_b, color_a
RAIN_area=        255,         2,              0.4,    0.3,    0.2,      0.5,    5,        3,      0.15,       0.02,     255,     255,     255,      140

VIS_use= 0

WATER_fog= H_,  30,27,21,0,2, 0,5, 2

AIGRID_everywhere= 1
PL_shad= 2, 1

Edit:
Oh and Check do you have something like sphere over map, maybe rain work but is raining outside map, above map...

Edit:
And when you change something you need delete rain.dat.. Don't forget that
GoGs attached the following file:
rain.rar [721.12 kB, 459 Downloads]
Edited by GoGs on 06-06-2011 13:38
SignatureGoGs

techno
Thanks for all your help guys but I will give up on this.
I can have rain or no rain but not rain only where I want.

I have tried for about 9hrs all up working on this but the same out come each time.
either it will rain everywhere or not at all.

I tried your files Gogs and same out thing it don't rain or snow but remove the level.tga and it rains
on the whole map.

I have added my bmp un-touched if you want to have a look.

All I can tell you after everything I have done is this.

If I edit my tga file in any part of the tga and save it
the rain don't work, if I leave the tga file un-touched just the bmp save as tga the rain works
if I have no tga file the rain works BUT if I add any colour to the tga at all and it doesn't even have
to be allot just a small area not even on the map area then the rain don't work.
or if I add a tga file from storm the rain will work and after I add just 1 px of blue to test it
then the rain don't work.

Seams to only rain without a tga file or a tga file not edited, once edited no more rain.

Maybe this post can help others or maybe someone can tell me were i'm going wrong
but as it is I give up, I have tried all, I know how to do rain and snow already on the whole map
as I have done on other maps but this time I only wanted rain in 1 small area and I can't do it.

after looking at my bmp you will see clearly what area I wanted rain as it's the only spot with a cloud Smile

again thanks for your support

cheers
techno attached the following file:
bmp.zip [185.84 kB, 490 Downloads]

techno
OK LDC cheers it will be in your PM on AUR soon.

GoGs
OK I MAKE TGA FOR YOU colors is 255

Edit:
And Fixed TGA where ( i think not need rain)
GoGs attached the following files:
level.rar [12.55 kB, 540 Downloads]
level2.rar [14.85 kB, 480 Downloads]
Edited by GoGs on 06-06-2011 20:25
SignatureGoGs

techno
Thanks for trying Gogs, sad to say same thing happens.
I tried your uploads deleted the rain.dat and test no rain
plus made sure my level.ini was also 255,

I then created a new level.bmp saved it as level.tga & I got rain over hole map

I then re-saved your edit tga and replace my file tga delete rain.dat and no rain
I put my tga back and not delete rain.dat and get rain over whole map. lol

It's a tricky little map this one Smile

I am wondering but, in the editor it says
area_id blue channel intensity of level.tga
recommended range = 0 to 254

is 0 black? and 255 white?

just a thought

techno
Thankyou for taking the time to have a look LDC

Not bad explaining at all. I understand, As I explained in my PM a members of our clan started this map and I took it on to complete as he didn't want to spend the time on it and I can see great things and ideas for it. yes it is over scaled as I can tell as well but didn't know that would impact the rain, maybe it will impact the players in game map as well. This is good info to know for everyone as something not to do. May I ask was my rain tutorial correct and would it be useful to others? as it is the download from the 8th post rain.zip. If it in not correct them maybe it should be removed as I don't want to guide any new map creators in the wrong direction.

Thanks all for your support, I will test rain in a another map like NVA just for my self to see it working how I wanted it to following the guidance from this post in the next day or so and post back here my findings.

At the moment I am over rain Smile but will do it soon

cheers

techno
Ok following the help from all the posts, I tested rain on arroyo and not perfect but worked.

not perfect part was, were i wanted the rain was close to the spot but not on the spot.
just a re-adjust the the tga file and move the rain a little more over and it rained where I wanted.

good to know for next time

cheers all

Lynxo
How can I get snow into waterfall ?
Now with the Techno help i have the rain into waterfall.
I made a winter waterfall .
Now I have rain , too.

apfelbaum
you have to change the rain texture to a snow texture.

Lynxo
How ? Can you tell me ?
Watch here my edited map.It's not finished yet.
But will be.
I have rain for waterfall. But I don't know how to change the texture of rain.
I want to make it snow ( faling down ).
Lynxo attached the following image:

[241.47 kB]

Edited by Lynxo on 22-08-2012 10:03

Intruder
Lynxo wrote:
I want to make it snow ( faling down )...

You can create rain now, right?
Just because it may help someone else also, I'm pretty sure you can obtain snow by editing your rain's parameters in your level.ini file... I've never tried myself but it should work! How? Play with "those" parameters, to transform a drop into a flake...

//RAIN_area= area_id, appear_up, around_tolerance, wind_x, wind_y, wind_rnd, speed, intensity, drop_len, drop_width, color_r, color_g, color_b, color_a

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

Lynxo
Yes Intruder , I can have on Waterfall rain.
But I want snow.
Do you know what settings I'm need to have in level.ini file for snow ?
Or Does anyone knows what settings I need to have ?

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.56 seconds - 95 Queries 4,935,703 unique visits