· Terminator 1 week
· Silent Bob 1 week
· The ACE 2 weeks
· Highl@nder 2 weeks
· Jardacz 2 weeks
· desintegrator 3 weeks
· gus 3 weeks
· forrest747 3 weeks

View Thread: Tips for dedicated server ? (and various info)
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 1 rating)  
 Print Thread
Tips for dedicated server ? (and various info)
SodoMyzer
Hi all, i'm a new registered user.
First of all, thanks for your work, and apologize for my bad english Smile

Like i said to admin, recently had an attack of nostalgia for this awesome game, and restarted it: i did not know about closing gamespy, and i found a lot of information on this site, like new server list host.
I'm happy to found out it's not dead, and i would ask some info , the first is like subject says.

I would make a dedicated server, but can't keep my actual computer turned on 24/24 and 7/7, and i know nothing about servers, hosting etc.
Does exist some rentable provider/hosting service that allows to run the game?
The problems are the following in particular:
- i lost years ago the cd/dvd of the game, and use to copy the game folder, backupped and fully working ( only necessary add in shortcut "-addon fistalpha"Wink ,is there a need to have the license of the original game?
-the hosting service should be able to : allow me copy the folder, run the .exe of dedicated server, and obviously forward the ports

Alternately , could you suggest me a mini pc, or others economic low energy consumption solution , for an homemade server?
I cannot find the requirements for dedicated server ( should use less resources , expecially video, then hosting a server graphically and playng in it)
What solution do you think is better and more comfortable/quick ?
Thanks in advance
Edited by SodoMyzer on 09-08-2018 16:34

PapaOscarWhiskey
I am only a rookie server owner and I only organize LANs, so I don't know if any of the following advice will help you.

Now, you could try to speak with some web hosting services (server holders) in your country about if it'd be possible for them to host the servers for you. Maybe they'll accept, maybe not. If they don't, then here's some advice on building a low-cost, low-energy consuming PC:

Get a cheap DDR2 or DDR3 motherboard, DDR2 if you want it to be cheaper, and put only 2 GB of memory on it because you won't be needing too much. Get a cheap processor, even a Pentium Dual Core should suffice. Throw in some 50-100 GB HDD, too.

This way, you should be able to cheaply host servers without too much electricity drain or PC costs.
Signature"Not bad, some pretty good stuff you've got there..."

WEZ
Some cheap or old PC ~3,2Ghz or so, Dual Core, Windows, 4GB

Ports to open only UDP 5425 and 15425

dedicated server - using the vcded.exe

VC - check google and FB for find a link for a download.
Signature-S.D.S.- WEZ
Member of vietcong.info
Member of ALPHA-TEAM.cz

Member of Subgamers.com (R.I.P)
Member of 4cheaters.de (R.I.P.)
Member of unitedadmins.com (R.I.P.)
Member of eliteteamwork.proboards.com (R.I.P.)
Member of vietcong1.cz (R.I.P.)
Member of auscong.com (R.I.P.)
Member of friends-for-all.de (R.I.P.)
Member of vietcong.cz (R.I.P.)
Member of TS-Database (R.I.P.)
Member of neoseeker.com (R.I.P.)
Member of answers.microsoft.com (R.I.P.)

http://cache.gametracker.com/profile/sds-wez/
cache.gametracker.com/images/global/header_logo_black.png
www.gs4u.net/de/350x20bg-0d3b12/s/283601.png

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZWkSyF7tNgQ
SodoMyzer
Thanks, i'll search for an used , old mini-pc /notebook , it surely will be less problematic, and i'll add asap my serverFAW

Today i saw 2 used reconditioned mini pc

-FOXCONN NT-A3550 with:
AMD Fusion E-350, Dual-Core 1.60 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6310
SSD 64GB
2GB RAM DDR3
I should be enough, its costs 57€ , but... better windows 7 or XP ?

-Minix NEO Z64 with
Intel z3735f quad core
2 GB RAM DDR3L-RS 1333
32 GB eMMC
windows 10
for 60€

What is better ? i think the first, it has SSD and more space, and dual core shouldn't heat up like the quad core of second, and there are 2 usb3 ports.
The second has bluetooth, but not usb3...and i buy it surely tomorrow if i can get discount for 50€ ! booze

However, i found an old full port list , but maybe some functionality are dismissed with GameSpy...

TCP-UDP 5425 Vietcong Default port
TCP-UDP 15425 Vietcong Server
TCP 6500 Vietcong Query Port
UDP 6515 Vietcong Oplay UDP
TCP 3783 Vietcong voice chat Port for lan use
UDP 13139 Vietcong Custom UDP Pings
UDP 27900 Vietcong Master Server UDP Heartbeat
TCP 28900 Vietcong Master Server list reguest
TCP 29900 Vietcong GP Connection manager
TCP 29901 Vietcong GP Search manager
Edited by SodoMyzer on 10-08-2018 16:30

Silent Bob
The game is outdated....specs are from 2003

even a modern mobilephone processor could handle it Smile

Just search for something modern with low consuption of electricity if you want to run only a dedicated Server.

i heard that even a portable HDMI stick like the "Intel compute stick" can handle a dedicared VC server

www.vietcong.info
SodoMyzer
Well...computer stick is much more expensive...Wink
I bought the FOXCONN NT-A3550 used on ebay, it should arrive in 1-2 weeks from France (I'm Italian).

The only problem is that I do not have fiber (normal adsl with 32 kb in upload) and some maps are great, when others download , they take a lot of time.
When the server will be ready, could I upload it to the maps section of the site?
Otherwise I could give the mini pc to a friend who has the fiber ....

I would like to make a "fast" server, with coop and also put in the list of maps some CTF and DM and TDM, with maximum 30 minutes of time and 5/10 points for the victory ... sometimes I enter in server with rules of 50 - 100 points and with the few people playing you never get to the end.

Another thing ... I saw that with some unofficial patches of graphic improvement, the anticheat kick me out and I have to disable it(VCStarter and a dll)
But I would like to enable it in the future and I wanted to ask:
does it "get angry" even if there are mods or things like that?
The servers that are currently there, have the anticheat enabled?
I will not want to see people who fly or see and shoot through walls, but if it is necessary to disable it, patience.
it is also true that the few people who are there now play for the sake of playingSlàinte
Edited by SodoMyzer on 12-08-2018 16:52

PapaOscarWhiskey
Yes, most servers use anti-cheat. That means that besides VCStarter, the game has to be 100% vanilla. I'd recommend you use anti-cheat, as I doubt you'd want the 2003 cheat-war happening all over again.

If you have crap internet, you should try to speak to some server-holding companies in your country and see if you can find a deal, as they tend to have good internet.

sonic
What kind of anti-cheat are they using? I see no server if I set filter to show only servers with Hradba enabled...
SignatureAnyone who run, is a VC. Anyone who stand still, is a well disciplined VC.
-Door Gunner

https://github.com/sonicpp
PapaOscarWhiskey
I'm pretty sure most servers use unofficial VC anticheats (non-Hradba) (correct me if I'm wrong). VC Guard is one of the most prolific IIRC.

SodoMyzer
Waiting for the arrival of the mini pc, I'm trying various mods and I have come to the conclusion that the dear old Hradba can not be activated Sad

Thanks for the suggestion, tonight I'll try VCguard, i read that older version had some holes but it's always better than nothing, hoping that the last 11.60 is good!

I'm also refreshing the memory with the console commands, but I've never connected remotely: do you need a shell like ssh or just from an instance of the game?

When we play coop and finish the map, I like to switch to the next one immediately, is there an option to do it automatically?

Last point that i'll try tonight : I remember that loading too much the "maps" folder did not start the game; i hope that with vcstarter is now possible...
Edited by SodoMyzer on 16-08-2018 10:38

sonic
SodoMyzer wrote:
Last point that i'll try tonight : I remember that loading too much the "maps" folder did not start the game; i hope that with vcstarter is now possible...

No, if you have more than circa 500 maps (1000 files) in maps folder, the game will crash. There is also limit for the server (I think it is 250 maps)
SignatureAnyone who run, is a VC. Anyone who stand still, is a well disciplined VC.
-Door Gunner

https://github.com/sonicpp
WEZ
SodoMyzer schrieb:
Waiting for the arrival of the mini pc, I'm trying ...

Nice, so it would be usefull to set the OS to Win7 - not XP

open the port in your Router UDP 5425 and UDP 15425 for your internal Server-IP. (a "fixed" internal IP for the Server, not DHCP) So the traffic goes to it.

Some Firewall and Software to prevant small Hacker attacks

The Host-File should be updated the adding "Masterserver - IPs". There is a long Discussion about it.
Signature-S.D.S.- WEZ
Member of vietcong.info
Member of ALPHA-TEAM.cz

Member of Subgamers.com (R.I.P)
Member of 4cheaters.de (R.I.P.)
Member of unitedadmins.com (R.I.P.)
Member of eliteteamwork.proboards.com (R.I.P.)
Member of vietcong1.cz (R.I.P.)
Member of auscong.com (R.I.P.)
Member of friends-for-all.de (R.I.P.)
Member of vietcong.cz (R.I.P.)
Member of TS-Database (R.I.P.)
Member of neoseeker.com (R.I.P.)
Member of answers.microsoft.com (R.I.P.)

http://cache.gametracker.com/profile/sds-wez/
cache.gametracker.com/images/global/header_logo_black.png
www.gs4u.net/de/350x20bg-0d3b12/s/283601.png

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZWkSyF7tNgQ
VCG john
SodoMyzer schrieb:
The only problem is that I do not have fiber (normal adsl with 32 kb in upload) and some maps are great, when others download , they take a lot of time.

just create a google drive disc and share the link in your server message!
its not a shame to disable in-game download - most servers do it for better gameplay!
Edited by VCG john on 19-08-2018 11:39
Signature#VCG_freddy
Mail: vietcongguys@gmail.com
Facebook: fb.com/vcgfreddy
VCG_Page: fb.com/vcg31
Vietcong Guild: https://discord.gg/mXaXG2P
Vietcong Messenger: https://vietcongmessenger.mn.co

https://vietcongmessenger.mn.co
PapaOscarWhiskey
What Freddy said. If all you have is 32 KB/s up, then not even changing the server download map amount will help.
Edited by PapaOscarWhiskey on 19-08-2018 18:18

SodoMyzer
In fact it was what I intended to do Smile
The shipment should arrive this week , but i'm reading bad feedback for courier MondialRelay Sad
Meanwhile I'm selecting a bit of maps for coop and other small to make fast DM or CTF: do you think that the mini pc holds 2 instances? I would like to try to double the game folder to have 2 groups of different maps.

Some servers have end-of-map rules for DM and CTF that are impossible for the few people there are currently, so I think I'll do a few points or 30 minutes ...
Me and my friend will also try to recruit old or new players who do not know the game
Edited by SodoMyzer on 20-08-2018 10:37

Homi
ADSL is not suitable for hosting, which work with PC online will be unbearable for ping.
SignatureAlpha-Team Czech Teamrespawn
www.alpha-team.cz
Vietcong1.cz
www.vietcong1.cz
KozoRoh Servers
www.vietcong-kozo...

Owner Servers:
ALPHA-TEAM.CZ #1
ALPHA-TEAM.CZ #2 Private
KozoRoh.tk {CD4c} -No Nade-
www.vietcong-kozo...
KozoRoh.tk {Midi}
-!*VIETNAM WAR ZONE*!- #1
-!*VIETNAM WAR ZONE*!- #2
Pterodon's Stream Public
[stats]Halong Only
[stats]Osgiliath Only
Vietcong1.cz #1
Vietcong1.cz #2
Vietcong1.cz #3

Hosted Servers:
Elit'acky Server. [CZ-SK]
crockersserver.we...
=GONZO= WARSERVER
vietconglab.wordp...
! Vietcong - Funserver #WEZ
30MiNuTeS SeRvEr
30min.vietcong1.cz
>> PLATOON COOP SERVER <<
Partisans
MELBER Dev SERVER

TeamSpeak Servers:
ts3.alpha-team.cz

https://www.alpha-team.cz/
SodoMyzer
Hi all again.
someone will have noticed the server with my name Smile ?

I tried some things on a minipc of a friend with windows 10, now it should still be online.
I have some problems with the dedicated server utility, the game crashes continuously, launching the normal dedicated server works; is there any fixed exe for vcded.exe to use?

Also with some maps the dedicated does not work in coop: at the beginning when you choose the class tells me "class limit reached" even if there is nobody inside; if instead I run the server from vietcong.exe to play with it, it works ...

I got the FOXCONN and I do not know whether to install windows 7 32-bit or 64. Is the 64 heavier? For the game definitely nothing changes, but someone can tell me if it changes anything in terms of speed in general, or resources involved, or increase in temperature for 64?

Finally, do you believe that the PC can support 2 instances of the game (if I can run the dedicated utility, or if I create 2 folders of the game and launch it from the 2 executables in parallel)?

For now I still have the adsl but probably at the end of the year I will switch to the fiber and therefore also the download of the maps will be fast.
Edited by SodoMyzer on 12-09-2018 12:55

Intruder
SodoMyzer wrote:

someone will have noticed the server with my name Smile ?

Yes! Smile

Also with some maps the dedicated does not work in coop: at the beginning when you choose the class tells me "class limit reached" even if there is nobody inside; if instead I run the server from vietcong.exe to play with it, it works ...

From my latest tests and "discoveries", I'm pretty sure that bug is caused by errors in the map's waypoints... You can't do something excepted to create a new map version with those waypoints corrected!

I got the FOXCONN and I do not know whether to install windows 7 32-bit or 64. Is the 64 heavier? For the game definitely nothing changes, but someone can tell me if it changes anything in terms of speed in general, or resources involved, or increase in temperature for 64?

I would say the 64 bits version for sure but a search on the internet should tell you a lot more about the differences...

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

SodoMyzer
I do not know how to change the maps..unfortunately...

Need help with VCGuard & Vietcong Dedicated Server Tool.
It seems they do not seem to agree.
I put the game folder on the desktop (without installing on the mini pc).

-Put VcStarter and Vietcong Dedicated Server Tool, the server starts and works.
-However, if I put VcGuard together with the vdst , crashs continuously.
-If I only use VcStarter and VcGuard the server works.

Is there any version of VcGuard I need to use, or some settings to avoid?
The tool wants to install the game and that there are registry keys?
I tried the versions of VcGuard 10.3 and 11-60.
Edited by SodoMyzer on 18-09-2018 01:34

Jump to Forum: