View Thread: Connection Time Out problem
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » General Discussion
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 1 rating)  
 Print Thread
Connection Time Out problem
Intruder
Hello,

Each time I'm trying to load a map (any) when I host in LAN or Multiplayer, I have a "Connection Time Out" message after few seconds... Note that I can still load the maps when I try to join a server.
I made NO changes to my system and everything was working correctly before... the latest Windows main update! That's why I'm suspecting that patch as the culprit! I made some searches and tried to find a solution but without success so far...
It's very annoying because I can't test the latest custom map I'm working on anymore! So, before I have to re-install my whole game and all my mapping stuff, it would be nice if some of you have ideas to propose me for a fix...

Honestly, I'm tired to lose all that precious time by trying to fix all those bugs and problems instead of actually working on new content! "lol"

I'm on Windows 8.1

Thanks for your help! Smile

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

sonic
Hi, I have same issue on my Linux machine when playing in Wine...and I always had this issue I guess. It is probably because of combination of these problems:
1) MS never published implementation info about DirectPlay protocol (as far as I know), and this library is very outdated
2) MS has bad compatibility with older systems
3) Vietcong sometimes doesnt use those libraries correctly.

If it stopped working for you after update then MS probably broke compatibility somehow (and it should stop working for other users too).

Btw, is dedicated server working for you?
SignatureAnyone who run, is a VC. Anyone who stand still, is a well disciplined VC.
-Door Gunner

https://github.com/sonicpp
Nosek
I had the same problem about a year ago. Dedicated server would not start either. First I also suspected that the issue was caused by a system update but I needed to be sure because my laptop had the same issue.

I installed a Win XP virtual machine with no success. At least I knew this was most likely a networking issue.

Then, after a few hours of intensive testing, disabling Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) proved to be the final solution.
  x 1  x 1

www.clan-delta.websnadno.cz
Intruder
Hello,

Nosek wrote:

Then, after a few hours of intensive testing, disabling Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) proved to be the final solution.

Let' go the essential first... IT'S WORKING!!! YES!

Thanks a lot for your help Nosek and to have avoided me a lot of "lost hours" because a new re-installation wasn't going to fix the issue for sure!

Because I haven't changed something on my computer, I guess that the latest Windows update modified "something" on my computer anyway...

I really hope this fix will help many others if they are facing the same kind of problem in the future!

Sonic,
Thank you to have shared your researches and I really hope it will help you to explore more ideas to find a solution on your side... Wink

Back to work!!! Grin

Intruder
Signaturewww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month1011.pngwww.vietcong.info/portal/images/ranks/Member_of_the_Month_6.png

Jump to Forum: