View Thread: I can't convert the AMBU terrain as an .obj file
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
I can't convert the AMBU terrain as an .obj file
Intruder
Hello friends,

As some of you already know, I'm currently working on a new "VC_ update" (VC_Ambush)... but I need help! Frown
To save many hours of work fixing the water collision problem, I tried using the Interceptor program to import the original terrain in 3DSMax as an .obj file. However, for some reason I still don't understand and after many tries, nothing happens when I press the F12 key to capture the terrain... Do you have any idea why it doesn't work? I'm still on Windows 8.1 and use the dev_editor.exe.
OR, maybe someone could provide me with the original terrain so I can use it in Max, to finally create the fixes for the collisions? That would be really nice and kind! Wink

Thanks for any help!

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 02-04-2023 18:14

LM
Hi mate, you can ask it here:
https://discord.gg/7CzaRnRW

and here:
https://discord.gg/7syDG5JQ

I hope someone will help you! Smile

martyr
Hey... Just so I understand correctly, is F12 the hotkey you press in Interceptor to capture the terrain?

Also, where can I get a copy of the program to replicate the issue myself?

Hope I can help.
Signature________________________________________________________________________

"From every kill grow, from every death learn"

http://www.clanofminh.vcclan.net/minh/
Intruder
Hello Martyr,

I've found the program on the vietcong-coop.net site.
I followed the explanations but as I wrote earlier, nothing is happening when I press the F12 key (to capture the scene/terrain).
Recently, I've thought that maybe it was because I wasn't using the correct dev.exe but I still haven't tried with another version...

Thanks!

Intruder

Confused Master
Have you given Total Commander a shot yet?

I know setting up the plugin is a little fiddly but then you have a really powerful tool at hand.

http://www.teamplay-community.de
Intruder
Hello Confused Master,

Yes I have it. Total Commander is installed and working but in my case, the program can't really help... Or, am I missing something?

My idea is to use the original "coords" of the vertices (from the terrain), to create new planes (in 3DSMax) with the correct collision that will be placed JUST above the original ones. Currently, I'm using my own planes (squares and triangles) to obtain the same results but due to the complexicity of the task (and of the terrain), it's a real pain and lost of time to find the correct positions (angles, rotations, elevations...) in the Editor.
The last step is to import those new planes in the Editor and to set their "clip distance" to > 0.01, to make them disappear. And now, we have the exact same terrain but with the correct collision ( "splashes' sound" ) when we walk in the water and so, on those new planes! YES!

Intruder

Confused Master
So your total commander cant open cbfs or do you mean something else?
Im happy my total commander is already configured with the cbf-plugin and i remember it was quite counterintuitive to do, but i can try helping you with that if its relevant.

Anyhow... when you
extract the terrain bes from whatever cbf it is in using total commander,
open it in 3DSMax and check the hierarchy-view,
it should show an object called ^K or similar.
That is the collision.

If the visible model moves along when you move the collision you have to unlink it first and link it later after editing.
3dsmax8 usually reminds you when exporting if the collision is missing or named falsely.
Edited by Confused Master on 23-04-2023 23:13

Intruder
First of all, a big thank you (everyone) for trying to help me, I really appreciate it...

My Total Commander can open cbf files but...

...when you extract the terrain bes from whatever cbf it is in using total commander,
open it in 3DSMax and check the hierarchy-view...

Do you mean 3DSMax CAN open a .bes file "directly" (with a plugin)? I thought it was NOT possible, that's why I tried to use the "DirectX Interceptor" program first (to convert the terrain/scene into a .obj file)...
I explained myself badly or do you know something I don't?
I'm lost but I'm still digging! Cool

Intruder

Confused Master
try this https://www.vietc...&row=3

i don't know if it works with newer versions of 3dsmax though

3dsmax8 can be run decently on windows xp within a virtual machine btw

martyr
I don't think that any of the 3DSmax plugins work on any versions above v8.

My old Win 7 PC can run 3DSmax v8 and the plugins.
If you would like me to try, email me the BES and I would be happy to.
Signature________________________________________________________________________

Intruder
Confused Master wrote:

try this https://www.vietc...&row=3
i don't know if it works with newer versions of 3dsmax though
3dsmax8 can be run decently on windows xp within a virtual machine btw

Mmmm... I still don't get it. I think we are missunderstanding each other because we aren't on "the same page" apparently. It must be because I haven't been clear enough in my explanations. Sorry!

My Total Commander and the cbf plugin are working correctly, just as my 3DSMax 8 and the Ptero plugins (for version 8), both on Windows 8.1
I made more reasearches on the net and (if I'm not wrong) it's not possible to open a .bes file in 3DSMax 8 to re-work on it.
That's why I wanted to capture "the scene" (the ambu.bes terrain/file) from the Editor (as a .obj file) by using the Interceptor program (as explained in my first post).
I hope I was clearer. Wink

martyr wrote:

If you would like me to try, email me the BES and I would be happy to.

Instead, I've uploaded the "special levels folder" I've created to capture the scene. It should be easier. Once unzipped, rename the folder to > levels (only).
Remarks:
- Don't forget to rename your current "levels" folder before (for security reason).
- The AMBU.BES file is in the objects folder.
- And I uploaded the levels folder "for all" if more people want to try... Wink

levels_ambufix

Thanks!

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 30-05-2023 12:33

martyr
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post back here!

I followed the instructions in the Interceptor program and launched it first. Then opened the editor for the first time in quite a few months! (v1.61 on Windows 7).
The exact same problem occurred: nothing when I hit F12. I tried some variations eg run Interceptor as administrator, zooming closer in to the terain and a few other things.
I was not able to delete/remove !background and !world from the editor but I guess that would not matter?

Then I tried the approach CM outlined... imported the BES directly into 3DSmax (v8). The terrain appeared but just a single plane - nothing else in hierarchy view. Also, the textures were obviously not included with the BES import - it prompts you to specify them during the process. But I'm assuming you can remap them if you have extracted them from the game? (Export textures from CBF)

So I'm sorry dude but no luck from me Sad

I wonder if you can confirm the actual BES that I downloaded from your link above? How was it extracted?... where did it come from?

Then I tried to replicate the example in the tutorial and could not even get the house to render ...or a single log.
So there's probably some other problem here. Could the hook file DLLs somehow be blocked/disabled?
Or maybe something about DirectX 9 is not working with the DLLs anymore.

Best wishes,
M.
Edited by martyr on 29-05-2023 16:20

Intruder
Hello martyr,

martyr wrote:

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post back here!

No worries, as I used to say: "the real life first"! Wink

Then I tried the approach CM outlined... imported the BES directly into 3DSmax (v8). The terrain appeared but just a single plane - nothing else...

But this is exacly what I need! Just the "terrain mesh" to have the coords of the vertices so I can create the new planes for the fix.
Sorry but I still don't understand how we can open that terrain in 3DSMax. Can you explain me, with a small "step by step" how you made it, please?

I wonder if you can confirm the actual BES that I downloaded from your link above? How was it extracted?... where did it come from?
---

I've simply extracted the AMBU.BES file from the cbf file with Total Commander.

So there's probably some other problem here. Could the hook file DLLs somehow be blocked/disabled?
Or maybe something about DirectX 9 is not working with the DLLs anymore.

As you wrote, I think it's related to the version of DirectX. And I think that VCStarter (Brchi) made some changes to it for the game to run better... But is it also valid for the Editor?

Anyway, thank you to have made those reasearches! Smile

Intruder

martyr
Intruder wrote:
But this is exacly what I need! Just the "terrain mesh" to have the coords of the vertices so I can create the new planes for the fix.
Sorry but I still don't understand how we can open that terrain in 3DSMax. Can you explain me, with a small "step by step" how you made it, please?

No problem! I have sent you (email) what I imported to Max - as a max file and as a 3ds file. Hopefully you can get what you need from it.

The steps:
- file > Import > .BES type

If you don't have that option, maybe you are using different max plugins?

Jump to Forum: