View Thread: Deleted Terrain by mistake
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Deleted Terrain by mistake
techno
Deleted Terrain by mistake
I have done this before as I am sure others have as well when starting out with map editing.

Question is, If someone did delete the terrain my mistake, How do you get it back?

I simply started over but there must be a better way!!!
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

Ando
If you used "new scene wizard" (then terrain location was 0,0,0)
Then just add it again from database and modify its location back to 0,0,0.

If it was on some random location and if your latest backup is OK and not too old then use it.

If it was on some random location and if latest backup is not reasonable to use then just copy terrain location ( x,y,z ) somewhere.
And then open your latest sco again, add terrain again and modify its location ( what you copied before )
Edited by Ando on 12-03-2012 07:43

KostiCZ
Similar as 3. - If it was done from some existing map, just open original map, copy location and rotation from this map and in your map create terrain again and set loc and rot.
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
techno
So there is no simple way!, like with some things in the editor; by simply using CTRL+Z 'restores last item deleted'.

If it was arroyo, nva, *** duplicated map, and the terrain was deleted because of selecting the terrain my mistake,
and there was no saved scene, then what your saying is then, it's bad luck and better to start over from the beginning.

I ask for any new map editors starting out, As I am sure they will delete the Terrain by mistake one day

Intruder
techno wrote:
So there is no simple way!, like with some things in the editor; by simply using CTRL+Z 'restores last item deleted'.

Unfortunately, no; not with the Editor. Deleted is...deleted!

If it was arroyo, nva, *** duplicated map, and the terrain was deleted because of selecting the terrain my mistake,
and there was no saved scene, then what your saying is then, it's bad luck and better to start over from the beginning.

There IS a simple way to have your terrain (from an original map) back...
Duplicate the original map you were editing under a new name (like NVABase_original), then select your terrain "only" and "save it as"... in your edited main map folder (the terrain will be an .sce file). Now, open your edited map version again and "merge the .sce file" (File > Merge) in your scene. The terrain should be EXACTLY at the same place as the one you have deleted by mistake! Wink

What you should also do, is to "freeze" your terrain so it will be impossible to select it by mistake. Edit > Freeze Dialog (F) > select your terrain from the list (Home key) and "apply" the change...

I remind to "all the new mappers" that I opened a "how to" thread with a "How to protect your "work in progress" too... We passed "there" (the troubles!) before you! Wink

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 22-02-2014 07:48

KostiCZ
I don't understand WHY you want to modify original terrain? And HOW you want to do it? These SCO files are packed inside original game files...

And if you want to modify original NVA base and pack it to CBF as addon or mod, there is still one possibility how to save your map - simply open the ORIGINAL file from install CD, open SCO in editor, write loc and rot of object, then open your map, insert terrain and set loc and rot. Or as Intruder sait - you can make export of objects from original map and import them (with location settings) to new map.
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
techno
KostiCZ wrote:
I don't understand WHY you want to modify original terrain? And HOW you want to do it? These SCO files are packed inside original game files...

No no, Don't miss understand me, I was simply asking a hypothetical question, I am not trying to do anything... I wanted to know the answer to my question
so that I can help someone else maybe. I have always wanted to know the answer but never I never asked before is all.
If a beginner to editing deleted the terrain by mistake is there a simple way to undo the last step, Answer is NO but there are steps to follow as the above posts explain.

Intruder wrote:

"freeze" your terrain so it will be impossible to select it by mistake. Edit > Freeze Dialog (F) > select your terrain from the list (Home key) and "apply" the change...

This is be the best answer and should be the first thing a beginner to editing should learn to know..... Basically freeze the terrain so no possible way of making the mistake to start with.
TY all for your answers.
Edited by techno on 13-03-2012 03:00
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

Jump to Forum: