· desintegrator 4 weeks

View Thread: Is There A Way To Auto Fill Way Points
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Maps & Mapping
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
Is There A Way To Auto Fill Way Points
techno
I would like to know if I was to make a new terrain and want it to be a coop map
is the a way to auto fill way points?

Or do I just do it the long and hard way by putting all the way points in my self!.
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

KostiCZ
b ) is correct answer
Edited by KostiCZ on 13-03-2012 08:04
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
KostiCZ
Easiest way is to use some "waypoint web" exported/imported from another map and only modify it - place all waypoints to ground level and modify their location/linking around objects. You can also make few of them and duplicate for example 100 waypoints at time to different places on map, ofcourse also need to modify them at places around objects and places where is not possible to go...

Teamrespawn.cz
techno
If I was to import way points from another map, as terrains from other maps are not the same shape..
IS THERE!! a way the make all way points auto shape to suit the terrain after import.
I don't thinks there is away but thought I would ask anyway.
Edited by techno on 13-03-2012 16:32
SignatureDon't spend your time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found

Intruder
techno wrote:

If I was to import way points from another map, as terrains from other maps are not the same shape..
IS THERE!! a way the make all way points auto shape to suit the terrain after import.

If the terrain is different, I wouldn't import waypoints from another map because "it will be the mess"...

- If you 're editing an existing map, keep the original waypoints as much as possible (it will save you a lot of time yet) and modify them if needed (position, link, hideout,...).

- If your map is a custom one, free of any waypoints, the best solution is to use the "placeator tool" (8th icon in the tool bar)... Select the waypoints (in the left panel) and one of the 3 "settings" (normal, hideout, noshortcut).
Place the cursor on the terrain and at each "click", the specific waypoint will be created where you want it! You will have to do this "one by one". Later link them all together! Don't exceed the limit of 2.500 waypoints!
It's long and boring to do but... "Hey, nobody said it was going to be easy!". lol Wink

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 13-03-2012 17:35

KostiCZ
If you have a web of existing waypoint, you can yse them, just import them, place them at ground level ("T"Wink and modify if needed (delete waypoints under trees or another objects, add some waypoint where needed and set hideouts where necessary). I already used this system on some maps. It is faster than place one by one

Teamrespawn.cz
techno
Intruder wrote:
"placeator tool" (8th icon in the tool bar)... Select the waypoints (in the left panel) and one of the 3 "settings" (normal, hideout, noshortcut).
Intruder

Another trick is to select all 3 normal, hideout, noshortcut, by holding down CTRL and left mouse click on them to select them,
as you place them on the map the editor randomly picks one of them for you...

very painful linking them all but hay, no other options

Intruder
techno wrote:

Intruder wrote:

..."placeator tool" (8th icon in the tool bar)... Select the waypoints (in the left panel) and one of the 3 "settings" (normal, hideout, noshortcut).
Intruder

Another trick is to select all 3 normal, hideout, noshortcut, by holding down CTRL and left mouse click on them to select them,
as you place them on the map the editor randomly picks one of them for you...

I didn't know that! However, I wouldn't use a "random option" concerning the waypoints because it's very important to know what kind of waypoints we want to use "here and there". It will be more work to do (in my opinion) if we have to reset them correctly after...

very painful linking them all but hay, no other options

One thing I often ask when someone is telling me he would like to start mapping for Vietcong is: "Are you patient?" lol Wink
It's probably the very first skill to have to start mapping!

Intruder
Edited by Intruder on 18-03-2012 05:02

techno
yes, I agree. And I do. I will wait months if I have to, to know my answer or to get what i want, to work in my map. cheers for the support all

Chavez_US
To be honest, creating a grid with connected waypoints and saving as a waypointsgrid.sce may save a little time, but it is much easier to do everything from scratch. I say this because i have tried numerous methods with this. Each time i used a grid of connected waypoints, i still had to select/move those waypoints around trees/rocks/logs etc...still took nearly the same amount of time. It is much easier, in my opinion, to use the placeator tool, and then linking as you go along.... (O-click-P-click-O-click-P-click) all the way to 2499 linked waypoints...

Thats the most time consuming portion of making custom terrains (outside of actually modeling the terrain in 3dsmax, and UVW mapping the polygons)...

The reward is the amount of downloads over time...and constructive comments you receive from the community afterwards...

Rick (Chavez_US)

Jump to Forum: