View Thread: climbing over an object
Vietcong.Info » Vietcong General Discussion » Vietcong Tech Talk
Who is here? 1 Guest
Current Rating: (Total: 0 ratings)  
 Print Thread
climbing over an object
apfelbaum
hey guys,

i want to create a wall or a house with low window trims to climb over. how can i do it? does the wall must be a special height or...??

greetings

Kermit
could you explain more precisely? you want to climb where? in the house through the window, over the wall.. you want to jump or climb like on a ladder? And what do you need to know?

KostiCZ
Use Bar Anims, but problem is that this animations are not synchronised in MP for human players. Only AI anims are synced.
Signature________________________________________________

2LT William Theolinus "KostiCZ" Boner Jr.
LRRP Squad Baker, Delta Team
cache.www.gametracker.com/player/KostiCZ/63.143.47.189:2302/b_560x95.png

Teamrespawn.cz
Kermit
KostiCZ wrote:
Use Bar Anims, but problem is that this animations are not synchronised in MP for human players. Only AI anims are synced.

yeah, so DON'T use them...
better use some invisible planes above each other then, to enlarge your jump.. but i dont know what you are looking for.

apfelbaum
ok, thanks for your fast replys, unfortuantely it doesn't really work in multiplayer at the moment Sad

Kermit
apfelbaum wrote:
ok, thanks for your fast replys, unfortuantely it doesn't really work in multiplayer at the moment Sad

as I said... instead of a baranim you can use a couple of planes on top of each other(just 0.2 space between them or whatever)... you know the kolice-thing in the editor database.. or of course invisible plane in max. When you jump you'll get a boostWink.. I used that in sheep-town3 so people could climb the walls (just on 2 spots).

You would have to make it small though because people can stand on top of the highest plane ofcourse, which could be strange looking if its a big plane.

Also I would use it for low jumps only.. otherwise it'll look like counterstrike ladder climbing(unrealistic).

apfelbaum
i know the trick already, you can make a "lift2 with it. but i dont want to make 2 meter windows so that the character can easily walk through it. that doesn't fit with the house and it looks ***.

Kermit
you can crouch too ofcourse.. If your windows are too small for that I don't understand why you wanted to be able to climb in anyway..
OR better, just put a box under it or a plank to crouch up...
Forget about baranims in multiplayer, they don't work and they suck anyway.

apfelbaum
i think they look cool ( in singleplayer ) and they change the multiplayer feeling.

also it already exists and i see no reason (except the non-synchronization) to use it.

Kermit
apfelbaum wrote:
i think they look cool ( in singleplayer ) and they change the multiplayer feeling.

also it already exists and i see no reason (except the non-synchronization) to use it.

What about: you can't do anything while being moved. That does change the multiplayer feeling yes, into a frustrated feeling.
One of the fails in vc2 was that the player movement sucked. If you want to create a good multiplayergame, keep it fast and simple (and fair).

Nobody is waiting to be shot while executing an animation, that's like the 'prone blocked' in call of duty, destroys the fun of the game. Imagine those gamedevelopers couldn't think of anything, and they even made a textmessage to tell you that! Would have been better if it just crashed to desktop, because no space to lie down, very realistic and creativeAPPLAUSE

apfelbaum
i don't think it ruins the gameplay. i think "prone blocked" is better than in vc when you hit the ground and you shoot it could be that your weapons recoil fails. i mean the pulls up. also your character hangs weird down the wall/edge/mountain instead of being blocked. but its the matter of opinion. also you cannot compare call of duty (and other modenr games) with vietcong. i tried it often and i cannot recommend it.

Kermit
It's unrealistic and frustrating. You should be able to get to the ground when shot at.
I'm not comparing, i'm just giving an example of something frustrating in a multiplayer game. The prone blocked limits the players freedom of movement just like baranims do another way. At least it's better in vc then in vc2 where you start floating slowly and rotating after you lie down.

Jump to Forum: